Kirkpatrick's van

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Kirkpatrick's van

Post by Chico1968 »

Hi folks,was just wondering if anyone recalls the van and its owner in the latest of my old bus pictures that I've obtained?The bus is a Leyland PD3.Were Kirkpatrick's local?The bus is a Leyland PD3ImageA1 SERVICE TSD 285 LEYLAND PD3 2 ALEXANDER 1962 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Kirkpatrick's van

Post by Penny Tray »

Chico1968 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:20 pm Hi folks,was just wondering if anyone recalls the van and its owner in the latest of my old bus pictures that I've obtained?The bus is a Leyland PD3.Were Kirkpatrick's local?The bus is a Leyland PD3ImageA1 SERVICE TSD 285 LEYLAND PD3 2 ALEXANDER 1962 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
I have no recollection of Kirkpatrick's locally. The registration number, which looks to begin with YGD, would make it a Glasgow vehicle, certainly originally.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

I can recall doing repairs to Kirkpatricks van while working in Maconochies of Kilmarnock back in the mid seventies, it was known as a Commer Walkthrough van.
If I recall right it was in a few times for damage to bodywork , I always thought that it was based in Irvine at that time.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Looking through some old telephone directories that I have produced just one Kirkpatrick business nearer than Dumfriesshire : A Kirkpatrick and Sons, bacon and ham curer, Kilmarnock.

Susan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks, Susan. I seem to recall back in the sixties before migrating, regularly enjoying Kirkpatrick's pork sausages. Could never seem to get similar ones here in Australia.

Found this reference https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/a ... 8cda515aa8

The Thornhill address rang a bell too!
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Yes, Hughie, I found the Thornhill location in the 1967 phone book, then the Kilmarnock one in the 1970 Yellow Pages. So perhaps they moved, or opened another site.

Susan
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

Many thanks for the info folks.