The Queen's Visit 50 Years Ago

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

The Queen's Visit 50 Years Ago

Post by Hughie »

What are your memories of the Queen's fleeting visit to the three towns fifty years ago this week. Are you old enough to remember :wink:. My recollections are pretty sketchy, but I do recall the stage they built outside Ardrossan Town Railway Station in Princes Street. We school kids from Eglinton were lined along South Crescent with our backs to the sea around where the WW1 Memorial is - we cheered her on as she passed on the way to Saltcoats. Anyone else remember this?
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

queenvisit-1-vert.jpg
Three photos taken on the Queen's visit to Ardrossan on 3 July 1956. Like Hugh I was standing in South Crescent when she passed by. I was 8 years old.

Tom McGrattan
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Queen's next visit

Post by Meg »

I remember getting marched along Eglington Road by our teacher and made to fly a flag to welcome the Queens on her next visit - I must have been about 7 - which would have been around 1960. Does anyone remember if that was the visit to open Hunterston A Power Station?

Meg
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

Hunterston A Station was opened by the Queen Mother on 22 September 1964.

Tom McGrattan
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Thanks Tom - obviously not that one then:-) Anyone any ideas why the queen was visiting Ayrshire then?

Meg
oliver prin
Settling In
Settling In

Post by oliver prin »

I remember the Queens visit in 1956 well ,I was torn between watching her or looking at the Royal Train passing the bottom of our garden in Anderson Terrace .The train won.It was pulled by a Clan class locomotive and it was spotless,thanks Tom for your photo I can read the last three numbers I can now look up the records and get the name of the engine
dreamer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dreamer »

Meg, the Queen's visit was to grant Stevenston 'Royal Burgh' status. I think the actual ceremony for this took place in Kilwinning at the Council Chambers. Funnily enough I saw a picture of the ceremony with the Queen, the Stevenston Town Clerks, the Provost, Treasurer and various other people just a couple of weeks ago.

Hope that helps.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

I remember something about the Queen's visit I think I might have been sixteen I was working at the time in Argyle Road and we all went down near the Iron Bridge to see the train passing she waved to us from the train that was a long time ago Hughie .
Maggie
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Queen's Visit.

Post by gnyaff »

I remember the Queen and the Duke passing throught Salcoats earlier than 1956. I was at Kyleshill school and we were told they would be passing through the town by car coming from Ardrossan. They came along Vernon Street and up over the bridge and down onto Canal Street. We were all lined up ready to wave to the Queen, when the car passed The Duke of Edinburgh was on the kerb side and the Queen on the other, so we only got to see his smiling face and that was only for about two seconds as they went passed. I felt a bit disappointed at not seeing the Queen

Wee Boney
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

In the photo at the start of this topic - the one with the train at Ardrossan Railway Station, you'll notice the policeman on the right. You could be forgiven if you thought the Queen had brought her own Bobbies up from London. But no, that was how the railway police dressed. I seem to remember there were a few stationed at Ardrossan Railway Station and you'd often see them around the railway stations at Ardrossan Harbour.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

dreamer wrote:Meg, the Queen's visit was to grant Stevenston 'Royal Burgh' status. I think the actual ceremony for this took place in Kilwinning at the Council Chambers. Funnily enough I saw a picture of the ceremony with the Queen, the Stevenston Town Clerks, the Provost, Treasurer and various other people just a couple of weeks ago.

Hope that helps.
I wonder why she was going along the North Shore road in Ardrossan then - I definitely (I think:-) stood along Englinton road and she was travelling towards West Kilbride - maybe she heard how good the pub lunches were in the Ardenlee:-)

Meg
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Meg, I seem to recall being taken to see the Queen go past but for all these years I thought it was over in Arran, don't know why I think that.
But when you mentioned going along the North Shore that could have been what I remember as I can see myself standing on a dry stane dyke and there were a few of them up the North Shore. I don't think it would have been 1954 as I feel I was only little.
Netta