Motocross at Auchenharvie

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Motocross at Auchenharvie

Post by GEODGC »

Can anybody else remember this? I remember as a youngster, probably late 70’s or thereabouts, being taken to watch the motocross at the area behind Auchenharvie Pool. Was this a regular event there or a one off?
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Motocross at Auchenharvie

Post by tuc »

don't remember it there but remember getting taken to Ardrossan to see it
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

It depends if it was "officially sanctioned" or not in the mid 70 there were more than one members of staff at the pool who owned "off road bikes" and playing in the hill was acceptable.......and I ask that many occasions are taken into consideration M 'Lud

"Officially Sanctioned"??...I think that there were a couple of races but not motocross per se.more motocross bikes racing However I seem to remember a couple of "Trials stages" being run on the hill

Meikle Busby was favoured for motocross , Giffordland, Place Farm and a few other bits of land in the area of Kilbirnie/Dalry/ Fairlie Moor were used for Trials .........
tuc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tuc »

Meikle Busby was what I was thinking and was an official event
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

at one time in the early 70s,they had Sand Racing on Prestwick shore,
Place Farm on the Kilbirnie to Largs road was a constant venue for Trials,including the Hangover Trial,
Snow, Ice, Drink,River,Rock,Trees Mud and Motorcycles possibly not the wisest concept
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

I cannot remember it at Auchenharvie but believe it did in the 60s.Think that's where the Stevenston and District Motorcycle Club started prior to moving to the sheds at Eglinton School.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

they had a "club house" (allegedly) in the Bogalmart ain a close next to Reids Chip shop and a Driving School, where is now a Turkish Takeaway and a Solicitor

sheds ?? surely not!! Ayrshire Education's finest out-building