Liptons in Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Liptons in Saltcoats

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:38 pm

I think i remember -William Low, When you went through the door you where on top of the 3/4 check -outs A medium size rectangle shaped shop.
I had a Saturday job in Lows in 1970/1971, it was as you described Brian - with the fruit and veg at the top of the first aisle, and a butchers counter at the top of the second aisle. The butcher was Charlie Gibb - a funny funny man. Great staff, loved my time there.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

down south wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm I think the place you're thinking of, Hughie, is Templeton's; it was just a few doors along from Fleming's,
That was it, Susan, Templetons. Those were the days shortly after the wedding I used to get salmon on my lunchtime sandwiches. :roll:
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

William Low's in fact replaced Wilkie's, not Lipton's. It was further up the street, just at the point where it widens.

Susan
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Watched the man who charmed the world the other night .Thomas Johnston Lipton ,parents came from Ulster to Glasgow. Thomas started the grocery shops in Glasgow ,and bought a Ceylon Plantation around 1890.It reminded me of my Husbands late grandmother who had special shops for most food items,and sent my husband as a young boy,all over Glasgow to these shops. :)

SC
Last edited by sweet caroline on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Just checked our caddy. Liptons is probably still the most popular tea here in Australia. But it seems at this point in time our caddy is full of Robur teabags. A search of Google will reveal many Lipton products in Australia. I know their ice tea is popular in Summer.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Hughie, Standard tea-bags in the supermarkets where i live is Pg Tips, Tetley and for a few shillings more Yorkshire Tea. I don't see Liptons but then again i don't look for them. Do any members still make a proper cup of Tea- Loose Tea in a teapot using a Tea-strainer, Don't think i have for many a Year, Tea-bags are so convenient but the teapot tastes so much better.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:48 pm Hughie, Standard tea-bags in the supermarkets where i live is Pg Tips, Tetley and for a few shillings more Yorkshire Tea. I don't see Liptons but then again i don't look for them. Do any members still make a proper cup of Tea- Loose Tea in a teapot using a Tea-strainer, Don't think i have for many a Year, Tea-bags are so convenient but the teapot tastes so much better.
I’ve only ever seen Lipton’s overseas Brian - especially in NZ and the USA. I grew up with my mum buying 2 x quarter pounds of Lipton’s tea from the shop in Glasgow street. I can still make a decent pot of tea measuring the tea out with pinched fingers the way my parents did. We use tea bags at home but have lots of loose tea given as presents from George’s annual visits to Sri Lanka.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

A story told about Ardrossan shipyard when some workers were having an unofficial tea break when the boss John Colman appeared and the men all scattered but one left his billy can behind. Big Jock as he was known asked the question of his foreman "whose tea is that?" To which the reply was "I think it's Liptons"
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

meekan wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:41 pm A story told about Ardrossan shipyard when some workers were having an unofficial tea break when the boss John Colman appeared and the men all scattered but one left his billy can behind. Big Jock as he was known asked the question of his foreman "whose tea is that?" To which the reply was "I think it's Liptons"
Meekan, when Bobby was a young apprentice in the shipyard,he decided one day when he hadn't been given a chore to do, that he would clean all the Billy cans.
The men were furious when they saw their shiney cans. The tea didn't taste the same withought the build up of stains.