Burning effigy in Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Burning effigy in Saltcoats

Post by Hughie »

Can anyone elaborate on the following claim - it's from this post in "Saltcoats on this day". Page 144
Mrs Cree's husband - James Cree - who is dead, was a boot and shoe maker in Saltcoats for many years. He was a prominent figure in a well remembered incident that led to the effigy of a townsman being burned.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Burning effigy in Saltcoats

Post by Hughie »

Found this in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald, December 15, 1855.

ASH Dec 15, 1855.jpg
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

There's a general reference to it in 'Saltcoats Old and New' chapter 14:
"No longer do the people burn witches here. They found, some years ago, a more congenial pastime in burning effigies." No explanation given. :? Maybe there's a reference in one of the other 10 chapters.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I wonder when the need for a stamp on a receipt was phased out I certainly can remember Davie Mitchell put a stamp on receipts for account customers? That would be in the 1950’s. I wonder what the amount was that required a stamp on a receipt?
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

meekan wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 pm I wonder when the need for a stamp on a receipt was phased out I certainly can remember Davie Mitchell put a stamp on receipts for account customers? That would be in the 1950’s. I wonder what the amount was that required a stamp on a receipt?
I also remember my father doing this. No idea what the stamp cost, but I do remember that it was very little.
JD.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I think it was abolished in 1964 when the stamp duty was twopence for receipts £2 and over.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.