Clyde Street, Saltcoats?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Clyde Street, Saltcoats?

Post by Penny Tray »

I was reading an 1881 edition of the Glasgow Herald today and came across a Kilwinning minister’s intimation of the death of his 5 year old daughter at Clyde Street, Saltcoats.

Unfortunately, the death does not appear to have been placed in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald to give me a cross-reference and I’ve been unable to find any other mention of a Clyde Street locally.

I was wondering, in view of the girl’s age and the fact the she wasn’t at home, if she was maybe convalescing somewhere in Saltcoats.

Anyone ever heard Clyde Street?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Clyde Street, Saltcoats?

Post by John Donnelly »

There is a Clyde St. in Millport. If you hadn't mentioned the possibility of convalescence, I wouldn't have thought of it.

?????? JD.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

PT, I had a look at the wee girl's death certificate and it gives the address as Clyde Bank Saltcoats. The only place I cöuld find was Clydebank Cottage, Ardrossan Road (Saltcoats). Clyde Street must have been a mistake.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hahaya,

Thanks for checking that out. Your finding makes more sense.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.