the Rabbie Burns pub

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

the Rabbie Burns pub

Post by 5siamese7 »

Something is happening at last. There are men hosing out the insides so I guess someone is planning to open up the place.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: the Rabbie Burns pub

Post by michaelm »

Are you sure that's the case, Bill?

I noticed water running down the hill at the side of the street near to the Post Office round about Mon/Tues and that continued until yesterday. On Wed evening I decided to investigate the source of it. Sure enough it was indeed coming from the old Rankins/ Rabbie Burns building but there were no doors open or signs of any workmen around and there was also a burglar alarm sounding from inside.

I saw that the water was running out from underneath a metal entrance door shutter that was fully down and looked locked, so I thought that a person or person's might have broken into the empty building and ripped out as much 'Scoof' as they could get their hands on, including of course Copper plumbing pipes, metal sinks and fittings etc.

I hope I'm mistaken though and you are correct here.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Michael the doors were wide open and men were hosing out the place on Thursday in broad daylight hard to believe they were scoofers. Maybe they shut the place up and forgot to turn off the water. Really its in such a state that it will cost more than its worth to fix. I bet it gets flattened. I'll tell you something I always thought the pavement was too narrow and a very dangerous place to leave if you were pissed. Its right on to the main road.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Ok Bill no probs. It just looked and sounded a bit odd to me at the time.

Don't know what will happen to the building itself but in the current climate it's anyone's guess if it ever sees the light of day as a pub again. I'd heard it was available at a knock down price (for obvious reasons) and had even been up for auction. I thought a property developer with a bit of financial clout might have stepped in and transformed the place into Flat's or the like, especially as there's already residential space - albeit probably in need of renovation work - situated directly above the pub.

Aye, the pavement's very narrow there - much like outside the Grant's/McGlones - but in this day and age all it would take to eliminate any safety risk would be to install a few feet of metal railings at the edge of the pavement.
Mind you, when did good old common sense ever apply in these type of situations? :)