Lorne Place, Ardrossan?

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Lorne Place, Ardrossan?

Post by Penny Tray »

I was reading an 1884 edition of the Glasgow Herald today and came across a reference to Lorne Place, Ardrossan. It didn't ring any bells with me; it didn't come up in a word search of this site; but this evening I found three other references to the location in the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald BDM database, all from families with different surnames, and inserted in 1887, 1888, and 1893.

Does anybody have any idea where Lorne Place was located?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Lorne Place, Ardrossan?

Post by hahaya2004 »

Hi PT,
The 1893 intimation says Lorne Place, Glasgow Street. I don't think you'll get any closer. The name doesn't show on the valuation rolls between 1855 and 1905 and I can't find it on any of the old OS maps either.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thank you "hahaya".

I'm now wondering if Hogarth Place (off Glasgow Street) was formerly Lorne Place? And here's my crazy reasoning!

The intimation which caught my eye in the 1884 edition of the Glasgow Herald was the birth of a daughter to a Mr and Mrs John Hogarth, Lorne Place.

The other intimations that have come to our notice were from separate residents of Lorne Place who inserted family intimations in 1887, 1888, and 1893 editions of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald.

Lorne Place definitely existed therefore between 1884 and 1893, during which time a John Hogarth was resident there, for at least part of that time.

A John Hogarth held the position of Provost of Ardrossan between 1884 and 1893 inclusive.

At the end of his term of office, as was often the case, was a street named, or in this case renamed HOGARTH PLACE in his honour, Lorne Place having being somewhere he, or perhaps a son, had lived and raised a family?

Pure supposition!
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

PT, can you refresh my "old" memory? Where is Hogarth Place?
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Definitely a possibility, PT.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Netta,

Hogarth Place was off Glasgow Street between Maroni's Castle Café and the Central Bar.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nayesterdays/4305968439
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Thanks for that PT. Just asked Bobby if he knew where it was and he was way off. He thought it must have been near Hogarths farm. Letting him off with that though as he has been a wee bit ill lately.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Netta,

Sorry to hear that Bobby hasn't been at his best. Everybody will join me, I'm sure, in passing on our best wishes.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:04 pm Netta,

Sorry to hear that Bobby hasn't been at his best. Everybody will join me, I'm sure, in passing on our best wishes.
Thanks, PT.
All good now, got him home and back to his old self.
Stents are wonderful wee things, aren't they, Hugh?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

bobnetau wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 am Stents are wonderful wee things, aren't they, Hugh?
Sure got me back on track a few years ago. :)
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Glad to hear Bobby's well again :D
Irene