Auchenharvie Road

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Jennie_Bancroft
New Poster
New Poster

Auchenharvie Road

Post by Jennie_Bancroft »

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster - love how much info there is to be found here.

I'm trying to find out when Auchenharvie Road in Saltcoats was built. On the OS Map published c.1947 (surveyed 1938) it doesn't appear, but Millar Road does. I'm assuming it was built around 1950 as I can see people say they were growing up there in the 50s/60s.

If anyone has any clues to a more specific date, I'd be most grateful!
Jennie B
A Sassenach in Irvine
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Auchenharvie Road

Post by Mitchy »

Hi Jennie,

My wife was brought up in Auchenharvie Road. She believes the houses were completed around the late 50's. As an aside the houses in that area were not Saltcoats Town Council properties. They were managed by the Scottish Special Housing Association.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Mitchy,

Your mention of the "Scottish Special Housing Association" triggered my recollection of the following post from 2016:-

GLASGOW HERALD
10 APRIL 1946

SALTCOATS HOUSING PROGRESS

Saltcoats Town Council are erecting 26 houses in Kinnier Road, and tenders have been accepted at agreed prices with local tradesmen for the erection of 38 houses in Adams Avenue.

The Department of Health have approved estimates for roads and sewers for 80 additional houses in the New England scheme.

The Council hope that the negotiations for agreement to acquire a site for the erection of 100 houses by the Scottish Special Housing Association will be concluded within a few days.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

In addition I note that John Bone in his recollections here mentions moving into a new house in Auchenharvie Road.
November 1951, mum told us we would be moving out of Quay Street in a few weeks time, we were going to a new house, which was still being built. A few weeks later mum took us for a walk up Raise Street, right into Gladstone Road then left up over the Caley Railway and up Kinnear Road, a right turn at the bottom of Old Raise Road put us into Auchenharvie Road. Away along at the far end on the left was a solitary building, which had just been completed, there was a workmen’s hut just outside our front door. Mum proceeded to clean the place from top to bottom,
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Penny Tray wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:50 am Mitchy,

Your mention of the "Scottish Special Housing Association" triggered my recollection of the following post from 2016:-

GLASGOW HERALD
10 APRIL 1946

SALTCOATS HOUSING PROGRESS

Saltcoats Town Council are erecting 26 houses in Kinnier Road, and tenders have been accepted at agreed prices with local tradesmen for the erection of 38 houses in Adams Avenue.

The Department of Health have approved estimates for roads and sewers for 80 additional houses in the New England scheme.

The Council hope that the negotiations for agreement to acquire a site for the erection of 100 houses by the Scottish Special Housing Association will be concluded within a few days.
Hi PT,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_ ... ssociation

It made me wonder what happened to the SSHA. According to Wikipedia it ceased to be in 1989. One of the gripes I remember adults discussing when I was a child was that SSHA rents were higher than the Town Council's.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Auchenharvie Road was built in 1951 and 1952, I moved there on 6th December 1951 and around half of the houses were completed. The rest were completed in 1952 along with Craigs Place and a few houses in Mayfield Place, there were also others in Mayfield road which were completed in 1952.

Wee Boney
rondo52
New Poster
New Poster

Post by rondo52 »

Hi Jenny , My family moved to Auchenharvie Road in Feb/March 1953 (No.69) We were the first tenants.

hope this helps

Ronnie
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hello Ronnie,

Your surname must be Dunn, Younger brother of Alan, the Dunns were the tenants at N0.69. Henry Colquhoun would have been your next door neighbour at No. 67. Did you also have an older sister Marlene? You might remember the Davidsons from No. 73 and who could forget Two Wings Kelly from 75, now long passed away, I believe his son was the tenant after him.

Wee Boney
LaurieKelly
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by LaurieKelly »

My brother Pat is still in number 75. I was there yesterday, changed a lot. The "coos field " is now built on and the new cemetery is there. Other worthy names from that end of the street, Hillis, Kirk, Bone, Quinn, Ferguson, Rennie, Brooker, Montgomery, Shedden, conn, Boyd, Dillon, Nicol, Aitken, Turley, Hughes, Kelly, Davidson, Rainey, Dunn, Collhoun, Gillies, McDonald, Finn, Morrison. Brown, Lyons, Scott, Queen, Lafferty. Some are Nelson Road or Craig's Place. Grove, Murphy, Fitzpatrick, Scott, Hamilton, Gilmore, Milligan, Boyd from Mayfield. Happy days.
rondo52
New Poster
New Poster

Post by rondo52 »

hi Wee Boney , surname is Dunn , older brother Alan and sister Marlene also. Henry lived in 67 (only child)

Lawrie K accurate with names and area.