Charity shops

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Charity shops

Post by glenshena »

Saw another new charity shop in Saltcoats. Where Ethel Austin used to be. Ex Harris electricians. Enormous! Right opposite the Salvation army charity store. Better than lying emoty I suppose. I counted 5 in Dockhead Street, one in Countess street, and one opposite the post office. However the New Costa Coffee shop in the center of Town is a Real upgrade. ☕
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Charity shops

Post by Vivc113 »

Yep. I still have not been in it yet. Aye. Toons littered with charity shops.

Have not been in Costa yet either, but soon.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

I've lived in 2 different areas of the South-West of England in recent years, and I was surprised to see charity shops everywhere - at least 7 in each of the genteel small towns I've lived in, and often next door to one another.
It strikes me that it's now just part of life all over the whole UK, as more and more "real" shops go under in the face of online and out-of-town competition.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Noticed much the same here in Australia, though I'd think to a lesser degree. They are known here as Op Shops - Opportunity Shops. Salvation Army (Salvos). St. Vincent's (Vinnie's). And many more, all with volunteer staff. I so admire those volunteers - it's a changed world!
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 am Yep. I still have not been in it yet. Aye. Toons littered with charity shops.

I can recommend it. I had a "Gibbs" there the other day and it was first class. Also its a nice clean environment.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

If you are a landlord with an unoccupied property, and no prospect of letting imminently, it can make sense to let it a charity shop at a peppercorn rent. The charity will be eligible for rates relief; otherwise the landlord would have to pay rates at the full rate on the empty property.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Bruce wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:11 pm If you are a landlord with an unoccupied property, and no prospect of letting imminently, it can make sense to let it a charity shop at a peppercorn rent. The charity will be eligible for rates relief; otherwise the landlord would have to pay rates at the full rate on the empty property.
Oh aye. Interesting.
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

There's also the Red Cross charity shop in Vernon a Street

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

in our wee town in Aus. there are 5 Opp shops. I love to browse through them, you never know there might be something special there one day
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:33 am
Vivc113 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 am Yep. I still have not been in it yet. Aye. Toons littered with charity shops.

I can recommend it. I had a "Gibbs" there the other day and it was first class. Also its a nice clean environment.
Dare I ask what a "Gibbs" may be ???
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Gibbs in NCIS drinks his coffee black with no sugar.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Don't think we have one in the city I live in, but there are several charities that will pick up donations of goods, you can just bag them up and leave on driveway, don't have to be home, they leave a somewhat vague receipt on your door in case you want a tax write off, I guess. We do now have a couple of less expensive shops like Aldi and Lidl , has made the big supers lower their prices! If I posted this before, forgive, half the time I can't remember if I just thought or posted, pathetic! //funny ...blame it on lack of sleep :roll:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis