Pavement Safety Issue in New Street, Stevenston.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Pavement Safety Issue in New Street, Stevenston.

Post by michaelm »

Walking in New Street Stevenston opposite the public car park yesterday, I heard a thud then saw that a woman had fallen on the slabbed pavement just across the road. I helped her to her feet and was glad to see that apart from looking quite shaken she didn't seem to be seriously injured at the time - but she could have been.

Myself and another lady then noticed what had caused her to fall in the first place.

Pretty sure there was some type of repair work done in that area a few months ago and they had to lift a few of the slabs to get access to the problem. Maybe one or two weren't replaced properly and that's what's caused the issue here.
I don't know if anyone has contacted North Ayrshire Council to make them aware of this.

That particular stretch of New Street is especially busy at certain times of the day with many parents and kids making their way to and from Glencairn Primary. Also, there's a fair amount of elderly folk walk up and down it regularly as well.
These kind of safety issues are particularly dangerous for folk, as they often go unseen until it's too late.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Pavement Safety Issue in New Street, Stevenston.

Post by Bruce »

You can report it by phoning the council, or via https://www.fixmystreet.com
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Actually I tripped there too. However I managed to stop myself from hitting the ground. I thought about reporting it,wish I had.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

The council can consider itself lucky that the woman who fell wasn't American.
Maybe the American attitude might buck their ideas up a bit.

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Cheers Bruce, I've reported it online using the link you provided there.
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Bruce wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:40 pm You can report it by phoning the council, or via https://www.fixmystreet.com
Oh aye. What a great link.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

mmm-absolutely astonished our traveller friends have not "arranged" a wee accident.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I know what you mean brian. :wink:

In that area there's a wee 'hollow' where rain water seems to collect and I think with the slabs being lifted and then a lot of digging getting done underneath before replacement it's badly affected the compactness of the soil.

The woman who fell didn't seem to have any real wish to make a great big deal out of it. But I hope like myself she makes a complaint to NAC and something gets done before anyone else suffers a far more serious injury after taking a heavy tumble there.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:19 pm Actually I tripped there too. However I managed to stop myself from hitting the ground. I thought about reporting it,wish I had.
Yes, it's quite dangerous Bill, especially so for folk who aren't aware of it.
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

brian f wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:47 pm mmm-absolutely astonished our traveller friends have not "arranged" a wee accident.
The council won't entertain any claim unless the fault has previously been reported.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Some of those slabs are still sticking up and dangerous.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Maybe I'm speaking too soon here, but there doesn't seem to have been any move made to fix things since the issue was reported online almost a fortnight ago.

And the crazy thing is, it looks as if it would only take one employee with experience of laying slabs a short amount of time to at least temporarily put things right.
Kinda makes my blood boil when I see what's been spent on the 'aesthetic' paving work in Countess Street Saltcoats - yet they don't seem bothered about a genuine issue of public safety in Stevenston Town Centre that would cost them next to nowt to fix.