Why doesn't Dockhead Street look similar to this

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Why doesn't Dockhead Street look similar to this

Post by stivis »

This is a picture of Paisley High Street, it looks more than presentable, have a good look it's got probably the same proportion of "For Sale" ,Empty shops as Dockhead Street
But it's not a complete tip?( I cleaned that phrase up a lot)
Now the council are going to spend a load of money on getting yet another chancy Beep to do it up,No doubt councillors having a fine lunch into the bargain
And up they'll pop like "Whack-a-mole" objects with the grin that is reserved for Herald

Paisley had a very hard time in recent years, yet it doesn't look like the Toilet that Saltcoats looks like
imgID118183616.jpg.gallery.jpg
To be honest I wonder why should I bother,
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: Why doesn't Dockhead Street look similar to this

Post by creamolafoam »

Just in from a trip to ayr & saltcoats, & both their high streets are dying on their feet. As u say, many shops have closed down or for sale, & never seen so many charity & pound shops. A disgrace.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Prestwick kind of holds it's own.
Ayr built car parks, shut the road and the shops shut because of the lost custom,Ayr has a good by-pass system, so why was it all disrupted?
A possible answer was to get the Shops to close and to get the "Names" in ,they succeeded in one but not the other
Irvine for many years wanted Marks and Spencer and did everything to get them, What they got ,eventually was the M&S metro type(not what Brian Donohoe and chums wanted)

If you look at Peebles they have had very little industry yet they retain a character that reflect the area, the supermarket isn't outside the town,it's the front of 3 shops with the frontage retained, the supermarket is hidden.
(or it was I haven't been there for a few years)

Councillors who tell you that "It'll be better for the community" or similar are quite frankly Liars.
I have had the Paisley photo for about 8 weeks,and was going to post then.......But today the whole place just "bust me"

Need I go on?? Probably not.....would be the correct answer
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

creamolafoam wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:53 pm Just in from a trip to ayr & saltcoats, & both their high streets are dying on their feet. As u say, many shops have closed down or for sale, & never seen so many charity & pound shops. A disgrace.
Sad to read this, worked both places and they were flourishing then...mibbe I need to come back ;)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I get down with how bad Saltcoats looks. Still good shops in it like Gregor Watson and Wright's Hardware and M + Co.

I don't like the amount of swearing and anger around. Difficult times in the 80s as well, but never as much swearing as this, with no respect for people around.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I think in general, Viv, tv, internet other social media have a lot to do with that, I've noticed much over use of the eff and c words. Now I'm not innocent, I'll say buggar, beep...usually aimed at a pol or animal or child abuser, or any abuser.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I don't like the amount of swearing and anger around. Difficult times in the 80s as well, but never as much swearing as this, with no respect for people around.
As I see it this has been caused by the created environment,That environment causes a further increase in the downward spiral

Consider when a town bank goes that is it finished (Stevenston and Ardrossan) The Clydesdale has now left Saltcoats where it probably had a presence for about 100 years(or it predecessor) .
That to me,signifies a further downturn (except for Santander who could shut for a week to refurbish for their new customers ) in the town
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

stivis wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm
As I see it this has been caused by the created environment,That environment causes a further increase in the downward spiral

Consider when a town bank goes that is it finished (Stevenston and Ardrossan) The Clydesdale has now left Saltcoats where it probably had a presence for about 100 years(or it predecessor) .
That to me,signifies a further downturn (except for Santander who could shut for a week to refurbish for their new customers ) in the town
My understanding is Clydesdale Bank took the decision to close branches based on those whose leases were up, or almost up. Saltcoats came into that category.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I would disagree Ardrossan and Stevenston weren't shut due to leases, as was the case of Dalry,Beith and Kilwinning, generally if an ATM stays while the bank shuts then it's not a lease issue,that said Saltcoats the ATM went
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Simple >Facts of life ... Councils dont run the High Street it's Tesco, Sainsburys etc.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

stivis wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:05 pm I would disagree Ardrossan and Stevenston weren't shut due to leases, as was the case of Dalry,Beith and Kilwinning, generally if an ATM stays while the bank shuts then it's not a lease issue,that said Saltcoats the ATM went
When I went to shut mum's Barclays Account down, I was informed by a flippant gal that all Banks will eventually wind up in city centres.

Is this not more likely the future.....
Last edited by Vivc113 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

morag wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:10 pm I think in general, Viv, tv, internet other social media have a lot to do with that, I've noticed much over use of the eff and c words. Now I'm not innocent, I'll say buggar, beep...usually aimed at a pol or animal or child abuser, or any abuser.
May well play a part too.

Personally I blame our Government. Since the Tories went into power, with their daft cuts, society took a turn for the worse, with crime rocketing and folk thinking everyone has something more than they do.

I don't like this 2017. Yesterday I came home feeling disturbed by the language in Dockhead St around lunchtime. Won't post what was going on but it's not even just the young (they get the most blame), but older folk as well.

And it's no just in the 3 toons. I've seen ijits in the so called better toons like Troon and Largs as well.