Fair Monday

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Fair Monday

Post by Meg »

Yes it is Viv - I grew up on Clyde Terrace, near Whitlees dam and I remember two children drowning over the years. Think there was also a teenage boy as well.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

no clue as to blue lagoon, if it's by old st. Johns is it one of the poolts we called white wife, black man, blue baby? ( think)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

morag wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:27 pm no clue as to blue lagoon, if it's by old st. Johns is it one of the poolts we called white wife, black man, blue baby? ( think)
No morag it was out towards Kilwinning just off the dubbs rd.
Those wimin were in the nip.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Trying to recall it, used to walk by Dubbs farm often, remember a huge white bull...midddle of the night I'll remember probably :roll: :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Between the railway bridge and toddhill farm and look left towards hawkhill farm the blue lagoon was somewhere in the middle :puter
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Thats interesting i have never heard of the Blue lagoon either and i often walked up and down that area plunkin the school. The Blue hole up in the country near Dalry was or fav on a hot day..
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

brian f wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 pm Thats interesting i have never heard of the Blue lagoon either and i often walked up and down that area plunkin the school. The Blue hole up in the country near Dalry was or fav on a hot day..
As I said in my earlier post, it was called the clayhole pronounced the scottish way.
You couldn't see it from the road as it was completely surrounded by bushes that you had to go through to get into it.
There was a black pipe which ran right across the top of it about 20 feet up above the water, which was a greeny blue colour, which probably why it was renamed by the younger generation.
We used to walk across the pipe from one side to the other. I think it was the same pipe that you can still see today,through the railway tunnel at Dubbs farm. We called it the black pipe, which I have crossed many times in my youth, without mishap. I think it was a water supply from greenhead filters going to i.c.i

I remember going to the clayhole during the miners strike as there was some coal mixed among the clay.
I was walking up the road at gallaghers farm with a bag of coal on my shoulder, when one of his collie's sneaked up behind me and bit me on the ankle

Idiot - seeks village.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

As I said in my earlier post, it was called the clayhole pronounced the scottish way.
You couldn't see it from the road as it was completely surrounded by bushes that you had to go through to get into it.
There was a black pipe which ran right across the top of it about 20 feet up above the water, which was a greeny blue colour, which probably why it was renamed by the younger generation.
We used to walk across the pipe from one side to the other. I think it was the same pipe that you can still see today,through the railway tunnel at Dubbs farm. We called it the black pipe, which I have crossed many times in my youth, without mishap. I think it was a water supply from greenhead filters going to i.c.i

I remember going to the clayhole during the miners strike as there was some coal mixed among the clay.
I was walking up the road at gallaghers farm with a bag of coal on my shoulder, when one of his collie's sneaked up behind me and bit me on the ankle

[/quote]

They started to rework the cley hole in the sixties. It had lain dormant for years and was a real haven for wildlife. Even grey partridges bred there and numerous song birds. It had its own population of moorhens that bred successfully. Hares also colonised the area. The black pipe you refer to was thought by many folk to be a water pipe but in fact it was a sewerage pipe. This pipe was dismantled this year. The collie dog that nipped you would probably be my friend Meg who was great at bringing the cows up to the byre for milking.