Topic of the Month - Awards

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Topic of the Month - July 2016

Post by bobnetau »

Hugh, can you send me this pic in an email so that I can show it to Eddie this weekend when we go to visit. I will also be able to send to his son to prove his name is in the board. Shame it is blurred.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Lovely to see Agnes McNeillie on the other board. She was my work colleague and friend in the PTSB. Was lovely to catch up with her the last few times we were home. She now lives across the road from Bobby's sisters home in Ardrossan. A lovely person.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Saltcoats and District Youth Panel in 1972 instituted an award for Young Citizens of the Year. Young people were nominated by local youth organisations and a panel of independent judges decided which best met the criteria for service to the community and participation in youth activities.

In 1972, the joint winners were Elizabeth Millar of Stevenston and Alex Bingham from Ardrossan. The Herald profiled them as follows:

Elizabeth , who will be 18 at the beginning of next week, is a secretary at Dykesmains Primary School in Saltcoats and was nominated for the award by the captain and girls of 3rd Stevenston Girls' Brigade in which she is a warrant officer. Elizabeth devotes two nights a week to brigade work.

When our reporter called at the Millar home, Mrs Millar told him that earlier Elizabeth had displayed a characteristic which had helped her earn the title as she found a little girl had fallen and cut her mouth in the street. Elizabeth took the child into her home and attended to her injury.

Apart from her work and brigade duties Elizabeth has found time to tackle the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme and has gained the silver award this year. She intends to attempt the difficult task of gaining the gold award before August. " I have three years in which to win the gold, " Elizabeth explained," but I have other things to do. For the gold I have had to work for a week in a nursery at Kilwinning, pass the driving test, learn home decorating, Scottish country dancing and fire service. "

Despite that range of activities she said she was a bit surprised to learn she had won the Young Citizen award and had felt like backing out before she went for the interview with the judges." I think the award was a good idea, " she added, " because more young people might take an interest in activities. "

Odd man out among the eight young people who were interviewed by the judges was 16-year-old Alex Bingham; the other seven were girls. So Alex was pleasantly surprised when he won the award jointly with Elizabeth, because he considered the odds were against him.

Alex, who is an apprentice monumental sculptor with Mr McManus in Ardrossan, also leads a busy life. Although he was nominated by fellow members of Barony-St John's Youth Fellowship he is a member of Ardrossan Air Training Corps and is currently doing the silver stage in the Duke of Edinburgh's award. He finds time to study art at further education classes and is a member of Ardrossan Pipe Band.

" I only hoped but never thought I would get the award, " Alex said, " but naturally I was very pleased ".

Elizabeth and Alex will receive shields at a presentation arranged by the Youth Panel.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald , 19th May 1972

The two of them are pictured in this photo of 1973's presentation ceremony along with that year's winners, Pamela Nettlefold and Alastair Dodds, about whom more in my next post.
Young Citizens July 1973.jpg
Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The Young Citizens of the Year of Ardrossan, Saltcoats and Stevenston in 1973 were Pamela Nettlefold of Ardrossan Ranger Guides and Alastair Dodds, an Ardrossan Scout Group leader.

The contest and winners were described by the Herald as follows :

The six panellists who interviewed a short leet of five boys and four girls for the awards represented the police, probation service, education, careers and youth work though none were affiliated to local youth organisations. The interviewees were nominated by their organisations and were judged by the panel on aspects such as achievements, ambitions, personality and appearance.

Mr George McKelvie, chairman of the panel and a former chairman of the National Association of Youth Clubs, said that throughout the interviews the panel had detected great modesty and it had been very difficult to produce the winners. He said that the exercise of the scheme was to give publicity to the " large unsung majority " of good young people. He added that those who worked with young people knew that it was the minority who tended to give youngsters a bad image.

Pamela Nettlefold from Stevenston is an 18-year-old student who has completed her first year at Strathclyde University. Since she started with the Brownies as a seven-year-old, she has progressed through the Guides and is now an Ardrossan Ranger Guide and an assistant Brownie guider. She is also the secretary of Ardrossan District Guide Association.

Considering these activities and her studies it would seem that Pamela would have little time for hobbies or pastimes, but she has a keen interest in arts and crafts, practises yoga, goes horse-riding regularly and loves dancing; she improvises dancing routines for the Brownies and Guides. She also plays the piano and guitar, and wants to be a librarian. Asked if she did not get exhausted following such a hectic life she simply replied " not really ", and informed our reporter that she would be starting the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme later.

Alastair Dodds from Ardrossan is a 19-year-old student at Paisley College of Technology who was nominated for the award by Ardrossan Scouts A and B troops. He is a Scout leader, having been in the Cubs, Scouts and Venture Scouts and has completed a basic training course as a leader. This week he has taken a group of Scouts on a camping holiday to Newton Stewart.

Alastair's main hobbies are playing badminton and tape recording, but like Pamela he is willing to have a go at anything. He said that he did not realise what he was entering for, but was encouraged to do so by Ardrossan Scout leader, Dr David Jones. When he won he was " amazed but delighted. "

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 6th July 1973

These two appear again in the next picture, which shows them with the winners and runners-up in the 1974 competition. But unfortunately I haven't got a detailed article about them.
Young Citizens July 1974.jpg
Susan
irejim9
Settling In
Settling In

Post by irejim9 »

ICI Awards for Long Service.
Wrist or Pocket Watches etc and pearls for the partner if chosen. We have a couple in our possession.
I found the dates inscribed on the back useful for information for research.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Topic of the Month - Awards

Post by down south »

Some recipients now of Duke of Edinburgh awards. These two Saltcoats girls, Anne Milgrew and Maura Taylor, gained the gold award in June 1971.

Dof E June 1971.jpg

And a year later, Anne's younger sisters were pictured in the Herald, all having won awards. Bernadette Milgrew, a sixth former at St Michael's Academy, had gained a gold award, while her sisters Jane and Theresa had attained bronze awards earlier in the year.Again, Bernadette was to be presented with her award by Prince Philip himself at Holyrood Palace on July 7th 1972.

Milgrew sisters D of E June 1972.jpg

Left to right, Jane, Bernadette and Theresa.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Topic of the Month - Awards

Post by down south »

Some more Duke of Edinburgh award winners. First Linda Gillespie, who achieved the gold award in June 1972.

Linda Gillespie D of E June 1972.jpg

Next Sandra McKee, seen receiving her gold award not from Prince Philip alas, but the Rev Robertson of North Parish Church in November 1974 :

Dof E Nov 1974.jpg

We've already seen Sandra receiving her bronze award along with another girl in this post . And in the post that follows it are pictured some others from the Girls' Brigade who achieved awards.

A group who all attained their awards in October 1970. Elizabeth Wardlaw of 48 Hillcrest Drive, Stevenston achieved a bronze award; Linda McCammont of 6 McGillivray Avenue , Saltcoats a silver award; and Lyn Robertson of 3 Montgomerie Crescent another silver. I daresay they all went on to gain the gold award in course of time.

And a group who were presented with their awards in June 1974.

At the St Cuthbert's South Beach Church Girls' Brigade display, Lesley McGregor was presented with her Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award by Mr A Partridge, rector of Ardrossan Academy. He also presented silver awards to Lorna Little and Anna Pennington and bronze awards to Susan Young, Gwen Wright and Mairead Cooper.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 28th June 1974

Susan