Horse Island

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Horse Island

Post by Mitchy »

I went for a walk down Ardrossan Harbour today as I hadn't been down for a while. I went right down to the Lighthouse and of course the first two things you see are the breakwater and Horse Island. Does anyone know much about Horse Island? Who owns it and has anyone on this forum actually been on it? Was the old tower a light tower at one time?
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Hi Mitchy

A few years ago I bought a book called Whispers of Horse Island by John and Noreen Steele. Hopefully it will still be available to buy locally or perhaps it is available at your local library. It is well worth getting as it tells the reader a lot about the island and its history.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

canfactory wrote:Hi Mitchy

A few years ago I bought a book called Whispers of Horse Island by John and Noreen Steele. Hopefully it will still be available to buy locally or perhaps it is available at your local library. It is well worth getting as it tells the reader a lot about the island and its history.
Amazingly another forum member came to my house tonight and gave me a copy of the book once he read my post ! I'm about half way through and it's pretty interesting. I can't believe how many ships have perished there over the years.

P.S Your user name 'Canfactory' - is it associated in any way with the can factory which once existed near the Inches in Ardrossan?
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Hello Mitchy

It does indeed refer to the can factory, along the inches road. I grew up listening to my folks talk about the place so I thought I'd use it is my name here. It couldn't be more 'local' could it :wink:

Bill
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

canfactory wrote:Hello Mitchy

It does indeed refer to the can factory, along the inches road. I grew up listening to my folks talk about the place so I thought I'd use it is my name here. It couldn't be more 'local' could it :wink:

Bill
Hi Bill,

I remember a few years back I was walking through the inches area and noticed some narrow gauge rail lines in the ground. I mistakenly thought they were something to do with the 'old shipyard', when they were really associated with the Can Factory. I recall an old building that may have been the gate house for the Can Factory?
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

canfactory by the inchies

Post by harrysteell »

hi canfactory was you any relation to the people who lived in the cottage near the factory gates I remember laughlan thomson and his wife I hear the old factory has gone ,have you any idea what was on that site before the canfactory, I Used to go into the factory and cach the stray pidgeons,bye for now Harry.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

hi Folks

I also remember the old building Mitchy and I think, like you, it was the gatehouse to the factory. Harry I'm not a relative to the folks you mention.

Both my parents worked at the Can Factory in war-time and they spoke about the place often. So much so, I'm interested in finding out more about it but have never seen any photograph or even a history about the place. Bearing in mind what it was there for I doubt if any pictures survive :(

Bill
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

the can factory

Post by harrysteell »

Hi Bill if you look at Hughies 1960 view of Ardrossan you will see the can factory at the bottom left hand side of aerial photo I was trying to find out what was on the site before the can factory, I have come up with the Adrossan sawmills, I think they may have some photos. at the local library on princess st. its worth a look good luck Harry.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Great, Harry. Just had a look and that's the first time I've seen a shot of the can factory. I wonder if those are the original buildings or were put up later.

Very many thanks

Bill
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

canfactory wrote: Both my parents worked at the Can Factory in war-time and they spoke about the place often.
Bill
Hi Bill

I was wondering if your parents are still alive - my father (Jimmy Gordon) worked in the Can Factory during the war - I am sure they knew each other.

Meg
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

the can fac

Post by harrysteell »

hi bill i believe the site belonged to the shell mex company during the war it was used as filling aviation fuel ,I walked around the the huts and brick building in the canteen all the plates and cutlery was still there on the shelfs it was abandoned.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

Hi Meg

You have a P.M.

Bill