Threetowners School music classes

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Threetowners School music classes

Post by mike mccann »

I used to meet Billy Humphries occasionally in 'Safeways' after we had both retired . He was very short sighted and wore thick pebble glasses . In addition to being a musid teacher he wasn't a bad footballer in his young days. \ .I think he passed away not too long ago ,
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

He was very young when he taught at St. John's and would frequently seem ill at ease, blushing readily ( no pun intended!)..fair game for us! But he was quite nice. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Straying off topic slightly, but music lessons have taken on a whole new meaning for me - at the ripe old age of 58 I have started piano lessons, so Fanny Waters songs are taking second place to Alma Mater and Upidee! Just had my third lesson yesterday and am LOVING it. I've been advised to practice 10 mins every day - poor George has to listen to four times that. Of course it means I am also learning to read music!

Meg
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

I alway's remember Flow gently sweet afton with Fanny.
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Meg Gordon wrote:Straying off topic slightly, but music lessons have taken on a whole new meaning for me - at the ripe old age of 58 I have started piano lessons, so Fanny Waters songs are taking second place to Alma Mater and Upidee! Just had my third lesson yesterday and am LOVING it. I've been advised to practice 10 mins every day - poor George has to listen to four times that. Of course it means I am also learning to read music!

Meg
Meg, does that mean we will have to find a venue with a piano for the next re-union? :lol:
Idiot - seeks village.
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by ellenyoung31 »

Meg.
Long may you enjoy playing. I think
it is great for you.
All the best.
Ellen.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Good for you, Meg. Everyone should take up such challenges as they get older - music is a great choice. But I have to tell you, you cannae put a piano in your pocket like you can a moothie or a tin whistle which is my next challenge. :roll:
calleytwo
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by calleytwo »

Hughie wrote:Good for you, Meg. Everyone should take up such challenges as they get older - music is a great choice. But I have to tell you, you cannae put a piano in your pocket like you can a moothie or a tin whistle which is my next challenge. :roll:
Good on you Meg - I cannae get near oor piano because 15 year old daughter Bonnie needs it as she is studying music at school. As tae the moothie Hughie - every time I try tae learn it Harry decides to sit up and join in and you cannae compete with the deep voice of a Bassett hound let me tell you! Wee Ali
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I love the animal reaction! when my daughter or I play (she)violin or(me) 'cello the cats disappear, when I sing, which I do often, the cats are all over me..probably trying to stop me! lol!
C.S.Lewis
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

On music but a bit off this topic there was when I worked in Glasgpw ,a wee woman with a moothie who ' performed ' in the Central Station area . I often saw her during my lunchtime stroll . All she did was sook and blaw the same two notes but there were always coins in her collection tray on the ground .
The story goes that one day a passing tourist asked her to play Loch Lomond , to which her reply was ' Sorry son . ah don't dae tunes ! '
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

morag wrote: :lol:
I swear if BobbyD was still with us he'd come up with some footage..P.T. is probably workin' oan it! :lol:
Morag, this will need to do until technology reaches far beyond our understanding, 8)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Jings, L.P., ye were gie handsome at 13! They loin thrusts the sailors were daein'..no p.c. in ma book! lol! St. Mike's did the Pirates of Penzance and the Mikado '66 ish. I, and others in the art classes, helped with scenery painting, we'd been asked to forward ideas. (One girl actually looked up what the area looked like and we used her design lol!)
C.S.Lewis