Threetowners School music classes

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Threetowners School music classes

Post by morag »

Beat me to it Meekan! lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

First song I remember was 'one misty moisty morning when frosty was the weather'. Think that was primary 1. We got a lot of the Scottish songs too. I only remember an actual music teacher when I was about 9, a Mr. Humphries. Perhaps the oddest song we learnt was 'Yippee tiyiyo git along little doggies'.
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Or cloudy was the weather..we did learn a lot of Scottish songs, the laird o' cockpen, Macafee turn the cattle, Heel ye ho boys,Skye boat song etc.. I think though, Barbara Allen affected me most. Apart from that it wiz hyms...lol!
C.S.Lewis
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

I remember Miss Waters very well , in my day she was called Fanny Walrus , I remember all the above songs
especially John Anderson my Jo Boy {I think thats what is was} Janey Wilson had the best voice and sang it at all the concerts at school, no one ever asked me to sing, still don't....
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

This topic has reminded me of the songs we sung at the Central seventy-odd years ago . Of course we sang lots of hymns but the other songs I remember singing in the classes over the years included:-
Hearts of Oak .
British Grenadiers .
Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes .
Believe Me if All Those Endearing Young Charms,
Bluebells of Scotland and
Ye Banks and Braes of Bonnie Doon .

Another thing I remember being taught was a mother's reassuring verse to her child
' Hush Ye Hush Ye do not fret ye '
The Black Douglas will not get ye '
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

All of these familiar but for the black Douglas.
C.S.Lewis
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

Morag,
Mr Humphries, was that St Peter`s, if so, I remember him, but b*******d if I could remember what he did.

What I do vaguely remember is that he was a big fella with, not the greatest of patience in the world, somehow incongruous for a music teacher
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

georgeflemingard wrote:I remember Miss Waters at Eglington school, and our class trying to sing frere Jacques. She would have half the class start the song, then a few Bars later the rest of the class would join in singing the same words the first lot had already sung. I don't know what you call this kind of singing but I would love to have been a fly on the wall listening to what could only be a terrable noise. Nobody knew what they were singing about as it was in french. I remember it sounded like, Frery jacko, frery jacko stormy vou stormy vou and so on. I think miss Waters must have done this just to get a good laugh.
George F
If I remember rightly, it was either "two part harmony" or a a fairly primitive version of Acapella
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

down south wrote:Full words for Frere Jacques, with translation:

Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques ( Brother Jacques );
Dormez-vous, dormez-vous ? ( Are you asleep ? )
Sonnez les matines, sonnez les matines ( Ring the bell for matins )
Ding dang dong, ding dang dong.

It's the most famous example of its type of song,known as a ROUND, where different groups start off at different points singing the same melody, but it all SHOULD still end up as a harmonious sound.... :wink:

Strangely enough, I never remember our classes' singing coming out too badly; maybe it's just me looking back through rose-tinted spectacles ( or should that be earphones ? ), or maybe it's a tribute to our primary music teacher Mrs Mc Dougall that she had even the boys well enough trained and on-side to not make too much of a racket . At least, in music classes; attempts at hymn-singing with our regular class teachers weren't always so well-supported, though just not joining in, or singing " unofficial " versions, was the most common fault there.

Susan
I swear on his life, this is true.

I was sitting here looking at composing a response and suddenly from the front room, my 7 year old son, half a century removed is playing Star Wars with his friend and suddenly all the noise stops and they start singing Frere Jacques and I am sitting here and I can`t see the screen for tears, I am greeting like a wean, oh god, where did it all go
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Wee moments like that can shake you up. Mr Humphries was a young man, light brown curly hair. I think he went to more than one school, as seems to be the case with teachers who taught one thing, i.e. Mr Walker, gym. My pal and I saw Mr. Humphries out 'walking' a pretty young lady, so of course we trailed behind them singing 'It was a lover and his lass(with a hey and a hi and a ho, nonny no) lol!
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Stevenston Higher Grade music classes were an eye opener to me. I can still picture Mr Proctor becoming very animated when he played records of the classics to the class. As a bunch of daft wee lads, it was very difficult to hide our laughter. After 40 odd years I can still remember some of them, Saint Saens Carnival of The Animals, Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture ( my fav Fingal's Cave), Holst's planets.
Being cast in the roll of Captain Corcoran in Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore, I stepped down from this after weeks of intimidation by the older lads, christ I was 13 and didn't know any better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

little plum wrote:Stevenston Higher Grade music classes were an eye opener to me. I can still picture Mr Proctor becoming very animated when he played records of the classics to the class. As a bunch of daft wee lads, it was very difficult to hide our laughter. After 40 odd years I can still remember some of them, Saint Saens Carnival of The Animals, Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture ( my fav Fingal's Cave), Holst's planets.
Being cast in the roll of Captain Corcoran in Gilbert and Sullivan's H.M.S. Pinafore, I stepped down from this after weeks of intimidation by the older lads, christ I was 13 and didn't know any better.
:lol:
I swear if BobbyD was still with us he'd come up with some footage..P.T. is probably workin' oan it! :lol:
C.S.Lewis