ICI Ardeer Staff Photos

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

ICI Ardeer Staff Photos

Post by Bob Bryden »

Just been looking at the Staff Photos on Threetowners & a wee bit disappointed there are none for the period 1938-1947 when my mum worked there. She was Helen Kellie back then & initially worked in the office & latterly was in charge of one of the staff canteens. She left Ardeer in 1947 when she & Dad got married. As mum's family didn't possess a camera I have very few photos of her before she married Dad.

Bob
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ICI Ardeer Staff Photos

Post by Hughie »

Bob, I reckon through the war years it's unlikely photographs of the workings and workers would have been taken inside the factory - you'd have got shot as a spy. And, I'm sure social get togethers would be very few at that time where photos could have been taken.

My Grandfather James Kelly McCallum was a donkey man (stoker / Greaser) on the ICI ships. He died of natural causes in the canteen at the ICI in 1944.
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: ICI Ardeer Staff Photos

Post by Bob Bryden »

I've no doubt you're right about the espionage potential of photography at Ardeer during the war years but the war ended in 1945 & Mum didn't leave until 1947.

The mention of your grandfather was interesting & I'm assuming his passing wasn't in the canteen where Mum was in charge as there was more than one canteen. Apparently some men bypassed their " local " canteen & came to Mum's as they got bigger helpings &/or preferred Mum's cooking. Mind you I'm not sure when Mum moved from the office to the canteen.

Bob