Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Post by bobnetau »

We 3ts in the Bellarine Peninsula had dinner at Hugh and Betty's last night. Hugh made his Chicken and Veg. Soup and Betty did her great pasta with meat sauce. Lovely food, good company and a few drinks thrown in for good measure.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Wife was away last week helping our DIL with our new grandson and the other little one. Thought I'd make a pot of this chicken soup we'd made in our men's kitchen. It turned out lovely on the day, and I froze some in a few containers for future days. I also left some in the pot for the following day.

Took the lid off the pot the next day and found that the soup was fermenting - there it was bubbling away and it had a sour taste and smell. Dug a hole in the garden and it was gone. The soup in the frozen containers was fine.

At a loss to know why this has happened. So, who was good at science at school and can explain this? :?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Och, Hughie, unless you live in the frozen tundra, you NEVER leave food out overnight! Chicken is especially bad for bacteria, even cooked! :shock:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

... and cereal (dry soup mix) ferments and starts to fizz if left out in the heat after it's been cooked.

Meg
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

I've also been told to let soup cool with the lid off or it can go sour.
(
Idiot - seeks village.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Morag, Someone else on another group suggests its something to do with the Italian dry bean mix which I love, in combination with the chicken stock. Something to do with the starch from the beans causing a reaction. That's why I asked for a suggestion for those with scientific knowledge.

It's no warm here at the moment. Average temperature is around 15 degrees - we're still in the first month of Winter.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

15c is about 59f, way too warm. I'd be inclined to blame the chicken rather than the beans, unless the bean mix has a doubtful ingredient...

Potentially hazardous foods - foods capable of supporting the growth of harmful bacteria -- need to be kept either hot or cold in order to stay safe for consumption. Bacteria love chicken and when given the right temperature (between 40 and 140 degrees) they multiply rapidly. Since you can't see, taste or smell these bacteria we recommend not taking a chance with your health and pitch the chicken.
C.S.Lewis
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Morag,
I've just made the same soup with the difference being I've used vegetable stock and no pieces of chicken. Will place it in the fridge to be sure. Our lounge/dining and kitchen are open plan and the temperature is set to 20 degrees Celsius in the evening. :oops:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Just made a big pot of this chicken soup without the chicken meat - it's Winter here. Last weekend I made one of everyone's favourite soups Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Soup. you have to give this one a try during your Winter wherever you are.
//perfect
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Favourite winter soup here is Manhattan style clam chowder. We are supposed to be getting a good, rainy winter, courtesy of El Nino...hope so! It's been so muggy lately the last thing you want is soup or any hearty food.. :(
C.S.Lewis
Evyn
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Evyn »

I'm going to give this recipe a try this week. Sounds very much like the soup my mom used to make.