Sticky date pudding

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Sticky date pudding

Post by Hughie »

Sticky date pudding was our one success in our men's kitchen today. Our main dish could have been better. :roll:
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Sticky date pudding

Post by bobnetau »

The pudding was good. The Chicken dish could have been better but Bobby "tarted" it up a bit by adding some mushrooms and sweet corn.

I'm sure Betty was like me and was happy to turn the kitchen over to the man of the house last night.
Myra Clugston
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Myra Clugston »

So nice to hear that all of you enjoyed the sticky date pudding. I have been looking for the recipe to serve the pudding for my Grandson's 17th birthday. Until now he always requested chocolate cake with chocolate icing. I have checked the internet and found a couple of recipes but can't be sure if they are the right ones. So, if anyone would like to share their recipe I would appreciate it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Think we'll have to wait till next Wednesday, Myra, till we're back in the men's kitchen and the two lovely ladies who mind us auld yins (mind you they are as old as us, well almost) give us a copy of the recipe. :wink:
Myra Clugston
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Myra Clugston »

Hughie wrote:Think we'll have to wait till next Wednesday, Myra, till we're back in the men's kitchen and the two lovely ladies who mind us auld yins (mind you they are as old as us, well almost) give us a copy of the recipe. :wink:
I can wait Hughie - strange thing is I wasn't aware I was and auld yin until a couple of years ago when I was referred to as "elderly" and I didn't know who they were referring to - go figure!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Here you go, Myra:

250g pitted dates, chopped
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2 cups boiling water
125g butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups White Wings Self-Raising Flour, sifted

Caramel sauce
1 cup brown sugar
300ml thickened cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
60g butter

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a 7cm deep, 22cm (base) cake pan.

Place dates and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Pour over boiling water. Allow to stand for 20 minutes.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Using a large metal spoon, fold through date mixture and flour until well combined.

Spoon mixture into prepared cake pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn onto a plate.

Make sauce Combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, until sauce comes to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 minutes.

Pierce pudding all over with a skewer. Pour 1/2 cup of warm sauce over warm pudding. Stand for 10 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve with remaining sauce.
Myra Clugston
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Myra Clugston »

Myra Clugston wrote:
Hughie wrote:Think we'll have to wait till next Wednesday, Myra, till we're back in the men's kitchen and the two lovely ladies who mind us auld yins (mind you they are as old as us, well almost) give us a copy of the recipe. :wink:
I can wait Hughie - strange thing is I wasn't aware I was and auld yin until a couple of years ago when I was referred to as "elderly" and I didn't know who they were referring to - go figure!
Thank much for the recipe It looks great!
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

In my usual scatterbrained way I was thinking sticky toffee pudding...well, it's been a while since I had a date :lol:
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Myra Clugston
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Myra Clugston »

morag wrote:In my usual scatterbrained way I was thinking sticky toffee pudding...well, it's been a while since I had a date :lol:
Actually it was a recipe for Sticky toffee pudding that I wanted but thought my grandson might enjoy the sticky date pudding.. Gracious I thought the two cakes were the same. I've never tasted it as I am diabetic & use caution. Where in Canada I am, I find I have to increase the Baking Soda & Baking powder and that's the reason I have to take one or two dry runs before I get the ingredients sorted out. Love to have your recipe for sticky toffee pudding. Can you prepare it the day before? Or, at least in the a.m.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Myra Clugston wrote:
morag wrote:In my usual scatterbrained way I was thinking sticky toffee pudding...well, it's been a while since I had a date :lol:
Actually it was a recipe for Sticky toffee pudding that I wanted but thought my grandson might enjoy the sticky date pudding.. Gracious I thought the two cakes were the same. I've never tasted it as I am diabetic & use caution. Where in Canada I am, I find I have to increase the Baking Soda & Baking powder and that's the reason I have to take one or two dry runs before I get the ingredients sorted out. Love to have your recipe for sticky toffee pudding. Can you prepare it the day before? Or, at least in the a.m.
I've never made it Myra, basically just me mostly eating here. I used to love cooking for my brood, now with the ones still living here on shift work we all just kind of fend for ourselves. Can get sticky toffee pudding in some stores, though I've never had it. The home made worst I do to my teeth is Millionaire shortbread. ;)
C.S.Lewis
Myra Clugston
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Sticky Toffee Pudding

Post by Myra Clugston »

morag wrote:
Myra Clugston wrote:
I've never made it Myra, basically just me mostly eating here. I used to love cooking for my brood, now with the ones still living here on shift work we all just kind of fend for ourselves. Can get sticky toffee pudding in some stores, though I've never had it. The home made worst I do to my teeth is Millionaire shortbread. ;)
Thanks, Morag; We cannot buy it in the stores. My cousin in Stirling says she has a recipe & will get back to me. I am ready with a couple of alternatives. I simply thought it would be a nice thing to do for him. So far from the 2 recipes I have it appears to be labour intensive; While I have 4 courses to serve with 6 adult guests I keep wondering where those darling little children went...............
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Google it Myra,
C.S.Lewis