Saltcoats Special

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
Newt
Settling In
Settling In

Saltcoats Special

Post by Newt »

I remember a wee yellow cafe in Saltcoats where we would all go as kids and get a 'special' which appeared to be some type of toasted roll with meaty stuff inside it. The wee yellow cafe is no longer there so does that mean the recipe for the Saltcoats Special has disappeared? Or does someone out there have the secret ingredients so I can attempt to re-create? :roll: :oops: :santa01:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Special

Post by morag »

Newt, I don't remember it as a wee yellow cafe so probably not what you remember, but I worked in the Eglinton cafe (which later became the Castlewirock) and their version of a burger was ground beef, onions, tomato puree and God knows what else, cooked long and slow, very, very popular. Similar to what is known as a Sloppy Joe here.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Newt, the Cali Stores on the corner of Caledonia Rd and Galloway Pl were selling specials about 3 years ago, not sure if this is still available. I know this doesn't help with the recipe but some kind local person might make enquiries for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Newt wrote:I remember a wee yellow cafe in Saltcoats where we would all go as kids and get a 'special' which appeared to be some type of toasted roll with meaty stuff inside it. The wee yellow cafe is no longer there so does that mean the recipe for the Saltcoats Special has disappeared? Or does someone out there have the secret ingredients so I can attempt to re-create? :roll: :oops: :santa01:
What street was it on ?
I recall 'The Three Blind Mice' (the Lanni Bros) in Countess Street almost at Dockhead St was painted yellow / ochre. but I never risked a burger there, horlicks was lovely though
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Newt, heres what I've found out so far. The cafe was called The Mayfair, the recipe was a secret of old Mr Maroni's but what I can tell you is, the filling was mince but obviously not beef and there were two options, with or without cheese.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Newt
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Newt »

little plum wrote:Newt, heres what I've found out so far. The cafe was called The Mayfair, the recipe was a secret of old Mr Maroni's but what I can tell you is, the filling was mince but obviously not beef and there were two options, with or without cheese.
That's it. The Mayfair. Thank you so much. These were awesome, but I shudder to think what was in them haa haa. Thank you all so much. I appreciate it. I love this site, so many friendly helpful people. Thanks again :D
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Cooper's cafe (between the station and the Victoria Bar) had a "special" on their menu a few weeks ago -they said they were trying to recreate the recipe. According to someone I know who tasted it, it was pretty close.
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

Are you talking about the small cafe in Hamilton Street?
Newt
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Newt »

Awesome awesome awesome. Will give them a try next time I visit my sister. Xx thank you all so much for your input.
Lyscott
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Lyscott »

Hi guys. I know you posted this a while ago but i have just openrd a cafe in glasgow street Ardrossan. I am selling the specials but obviously i cant give you my reciepe. Hopefully if yous are nrar by you can visit and try them