Cooking a Rump Steak.

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Cooking a Rump Steak.

Post by brian f »

Steak is so cheap in the shops in the U.K at the moment, you buy a small steak 230g for as little as £2.29. The trouble i have is 2 customers in the house who prefers well done but not cremated and at times i mess up and get complaints.. My method is lightly oil steaks and rub in salt and pepper add to a red hot unoiled griddle pan sear for about 2 minutes turn over repeat and continue the procedure, obviously they look well done after a while but sometimes can be a bit rare in the middle.I have heard about this "press your finger to the steak" and this will tell you how well it's cooked -but just don't get that.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Cooking a Rump Steak.

Post by John Donnelly »

This is probably better in the 'words we used' thread.
Do you still talk about Pope's eye steak these days?
JD.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Brian, the steak has to be at room temperature before you start cooking, otherwise the heat won't reach the centre.
I use a meat thermometer to see if the steak is cooked through enough. You can get them at Amazon (Norpro mini steak thermometers).
This is a link to an explanation of the touch test. It also gives the temperatures the steak should have in the centre for the various stages.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dr ... our-steak/
Enjoy
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

hahaya2004- I usually do get the steaks out about 30 mins before cooking and let them rest for about 5 mins when cooked. I will have a look at thermometers close up the next time i go to town. Thanks for the link :D

John Donnelly- Pope's eye steak i think i might have heard of that before a long time ago.
A new one on me is the Tomahawk steak i seen it in the shops on fathers day.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

It was always Popeseye we got if and when we got frying steak. Never really thought about the cut until JD posted. From Wikipedia ...

The base steak from which the popeseye steak is cut is the Rump steak or Round Steak, which consists of the "eye round, bottom round, and top round still connected together".

Meg
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

Meg wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:46 pm The base steak from which the popeseye steak is cut is the Rump steak or Round Steak, which consists of the "eye round, bottom round, and top round still connected together".
Meg
Meg, The English term for what we scots would call popeseye steak is rump, but rump steak up here is actually just below the popeseye on the hind leg and is more suitable for roasting and braising .. e.g. topside, silverside, point, salmon cut and round etc.
Last edited by Kittywake on Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

Got a book/gift 3-4 years back by a Scottish physicist-turned-chef, which completely overturned rump steak cooking for me: keep in fridge until cooking (one hour in freezer for thin steaks) high heat start and lower heat finish, and no resting - straight to table.
Wouldn't do it any other way now.