ROWANSIDE TERRACE - WEE WEANS

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

ROWANSIDE TERRACE - WEE WEANS

Post by Penny Tray »

I'm not sure if I've done this properly (never done it before) but I'm trying to post a photograph of weans at the Rowanside Terrace 'Coronation' street party.

Here goes - (if it fails I will of course try again).
PT PHOTO.jpg
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ROWANSIDE TERRACE - WEE WEANS

Post by Hughie »

Well done, Penny. I recognise a couple but I'll have to think to get the names. First up, is that the McCreadie twins 2nd row from the front, one on the extreme left and one second from the right?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

Correct - Bobby and Tommy.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

POSSIBLE NAME/S AND STREET NUMBERS:

BACK ROW LEFT TO RIGHT -

George Scott (58); Nicol/Stevens (4); Black (66); Black (66); McKenzie (62); Conway (44); ?; Robert Reid (32); ?; Cambridge (54); Sandra Dunbar (27); ?; Janet McAvoy (21); ?; Smith (42); Roddie Marshall (16);

MIDDLE ROW LEFT TO RIGHT -

Grace Scott (64); Reenie Dailly (25); ?; Cunningham/Retz Bach (30); McKenzie (62); Ian Kennedy (33); Nicol/Stevens (4); Tommy Morgan (40); Cambridge (54); Cambridge (54);

SEATED LEFT TO RIGHT -

?; McCreadie (9); Conway (6); Helen McCall (12); Archie Blair (18); Ann McCall (12); William McCall (12); ?; Cook (8); Janice Macintyre (14); Paterson (56); ?; Cambridge (54); Joe Harvey (Linn Road); Billy Harvey (Linn Road); Archie Yuille (17); McCreadie (9); Catherine Cowan (20); John Blair (18); McLaughlan (22).
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hi Penny
Thanks for your PM drawing my attention to this photo.
My younger brother is the wee yin wi' the specs in the front row (Raymond). It was good to see this photo which I didnt know existed. I believe the boy in the top row left is Eddie Mcintyre who was in my class in Eglinton. I was watching the festivities from the upstairs window of number 8. I had contracted the yellow Jaundice and was not allowed to go out to attend the party.
Thanks again
Bob
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks again for posting this, Penny. I recognise my now late great workmate, Archie Yuille on the left of Bobby McCreadie and on the right John Blair who I believe married Archie's sister and still live in Rowanside Terace. Our fellow threetowners member, Rowanside and I spent a fair bit of time last year up in Brisbane talking about the Terrace and who we knew.

Sitting crossed legged second from the left is Robert Cook (Oops Robert's just said it was his wee brother) a member of our forum now in Canada. Also Reenie Dailly, sister of Billy - danced with her often at the Craigs. Do I see a John (Johna) Denver on the left of Archie Yuille?

I believe there was a McCall family left for Australia from Rowanside Terrace prior to 1960. I wonder if that's them - never heard of them since.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Hi Penny that look's like my
cousin in the middle with the hat
Moira Paterson
Margaret
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie - Nice that you recognised Reenie Dailly (you did a bit of dancing in your time); however, there are no Denvers in the picture - they were all centred on the other side of the Dalry Road); - the McCalls in it are those who left for Australia - Mr. McCall used to drive with the SMT - one daughter definitely went, Helen; 2 sons, William and Alex also went; - I think Ann stayed here. There was some family connection too with James 'Cash' McCall who stayed.

Robert - I thought the boy in the picture was Raymond but wasn't sure. The boy top left, as I've indicated above, is a Scott from the top of the street (No. 58 I think). It's definitely not Eddie Macintyre. He's in another picture I may post soon (I have one of wee-er weans and one of bigger weans)(also one which contains some of the parents albeit from a distance)(maybe you were the photographer because it's been taken from an upstairs bedroom window).

Maggie - Moira Paterson may be in there - and I think she may definitely be in the photo I have of wee-er weans?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray wrote: There was some family connection too with James 'Cash' McCall who stayed.
Very true, James was one of my best pals at school and later when we blitzed the local dance halls. I recall going up to Rowanside Terrace with him. Any news of him would be appreciated.
It's definitely not Eddie Macintyre.
Could it be his elder brother Jim who also worked in Winton Foundry with me? They did live in Rowanside Terrace.

Eddie is in this photo with me at the waltzer in Salcoats in 1958 - out of the blue this photo came from our Tony in Denmark :shock: http://threetowners.net/forum/viewtopic ... 306#p37306
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

You may have gathered by now that the person top left is a Scott from the top of the Terrace and not a Macintyre.

I have no current knowledge of "Cash" but I suspect he's still in the town and someone still living there might know of him. Unless he's changed someone will be aware of him. I remember him as a lively character.

Both Jim and Eddie Macintyre are deceased. Their mother, in her 90's, still lives in the town and received a copy of your 'waltzer' picture which she appreciated. By a strange coincidence she lives next door to the late Donald Key's older brother, Bert, so I know he saw the photo too.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

Hello Penny
I realized after you posted the follow up pictures that it was not Eddie Macintyre in the first picture but was definitely him in the big weans picture. In the big weans picture I believe the wean fourth from the left next to the
wean with the ball is my elder brother Richard. I will take this picture to him in Vancouver next week to verify.
Did you live in Rowanside terrace at the time the pictures were taken?

Bob
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Robert,

That is your brother, Richard, next to the boy the balloon.