Solar farm

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Solar farm

Post by Meg »

tapnagol wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:30 am As for my humorously intended comment , I thought we had put the matter to bed.

We have tapnagol - Bill, Hughie has already asked everyone to move on ....
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

tapnagol wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 am Solar panels on individual roofs is laudable. It will not however solve the problem. Pussyfooting around the issue will never succeed. To produce adequate power to generate sufficient energy for the future we will have to rethink the case for nuclear stations, whether we like it or not.
Hi Tapnagol.
I did some research a couple of years ago for an article I wrote about renewable energy. I won't reproduce it here, but the statistics and projections (- believable), were very interesting.
I checked some current publications and came up with the following.
Elon Musk, him of the Tesla, is currently investing billions in renewable energy and has made the following statement:- 'using existing technology, it would only take an area of 100 x 100 miles of solar panels to provide all the energy needed by the whole of the USA.' This technology is advancing at an incredible rate.
Musk's Solar Roof and Powerwall system are designed to provide the energy for individual premises, be they a dwelling house or large factory complex. The Powerwall is the storage batteries which will store the energy when there is no sunlight. Admittedly there are problems to be overcome with this storage element, but if anybody can solve a technical problem it is Elon Musk. This storage capacity is key to the whole project. Collecting the solar energy is not difficult and is getting steadily more efficient. Once the storage glitches are sorted out, the sky's the limit. And bear in mind that storage efficiency is like memory capacity was a few years ago; it is doubling every couple of years.
This is expected to be a viable scenario within 30 years, meaning that the national grid will become redundant.
A few facts to reinforce this scenario; in the first half of 2017, Germany's energy needs were met by renewable energy to the tune of 35%. They expect to completely phase out their nuclear generating capacity by 2022.
Believe it or not, but fossil fuel is in its death throes, at least for electricity generation. The multinational oil corporations have been busy for quite a few years already to diversify out of oil. Do not underestimate the incredible rate of technological change.
As I signed off a few days go,
An unusually optimistic JD. :)
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Hi John Donnelly, while I accept in good faith,all of what you have researched, I still believe that the nuclear option is best by far, even in the short term. I appreciate that battery storage technology has improved heaps in recent years, but 30 years is still a very long time to hang around to put current proven technology on the back burner in the hope that the renewable power sources will pay off. If this does not happen we will have wasted this period in which we might have designed and built a nuclear power source to keep the lights burning. I'm afraid that this consequences are too serious to leave to uncertainty. I reiterate that a public debate is necessary and a decision by the electorate sought and respected.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

The disposal of nuclear waste is a massive problem. Speak to geologists nowhere can be considered safe for that stuff. The siting of this solar panel farm is what is pissing some of us off. Why not up in the moors where some of the wind farms are? Try putting that rubbish near Largs and see what the folk there would do. I bet real opposition and it wouldn't happen.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Ssiamese7 I do get the point! No I would not like the solar farm near me, nor wold I be happy with the disposal area for the storage of the high half life of nuclear waste facility near any urban area. As I understand the problem, all the most dangerous of this material i.e. The spent fuel and associated components could be stored in a properly designed and constructed site, no larger than a modern football stadium. This is a miniscule size compared to the whole of the UK. The problem is where.?. Incidentally I have lived with two nuclear power stations on my doorstep for most of my life without mishap, as have the residents of Largs.