Saltcoats Worthies (3)

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Saltcoats Worthies (3)

Post by Hughie »

See Saltcoats Worthies (1) for source.

....Mr Queen & Mr Geer................W Hart....................Jim Slaven...................Eric Johnston

.....Arthur Woodcock............Gill MacDonald.................Richard Smith................John McKelvie

See also Saltcoats Worthies (4)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Worthies (3)

Post by michaelm »

Recognise the late Jim Slaven in this set of photo's as I know one of his son's (Jamie) fairly well.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I knew Arthur (Bill) Woodcock since I was a boy. Bill was the son-in-law of Fearless and wee Kate Crawford from Esplanade Cottages in Saltcoats, he was married to Sadie, twin of Barbara and sister of Susan whose husband Jim McCallum (my brother) took these photos.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

michaelm wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm Recognise the late Jim Slaven in this set of photo's as I know one of his son's (Jamie) fairly well.
Didn't know Jim. But I did know a Henry Slaven from Ardrossan. Probably the first owner of a Norman Nippy mopped in the threetowns back in the late 1950s.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

michaelm wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:17 pm Recognise the late Jim Slaven in this set of photo's as I know one of his son's (Jamie) fairly well.
Was at school with a Jim, James Slaven, big sister Josephine who was a force to be reckoned with...think they'd just come over from Ireland.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

morag wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:42 pmWas at school with a Jim, James Slaven, big sister Josephine who was a force to be reckoned with...think they'd just come over from Ireland.
Different Jim Slavens Morag.

The family you mention were not from Ireland, only the mother, Una, was.

The father was George, and he was possibly from Dalry, if my memory serves me.

The family you are referring to is, Jim, Josephine, Morgan, Wullie, Marion & Hughie.

They lived in Donaldson Avenue, then the (demolished) flats in Lumsden Place, both Stevenston.

I believe the fella in the photo above, was from Saltcoats, and if it's the person I have in mind, possibly did a bit of singing
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

Peterm,the guy thats singing who is named as Jim Slaven, is I think Joe Slaven,and he was the father of wee Jim Slaven from Saltcoats who sang with the Chase etc.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

wellparkno9 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm Peterm,the guy thats singing who is named as Jim Slaven, is I think Joe Slaven,and he was the father of wee Jim Slaven from Saltcoats who sang with the Chase etc.
Wellparkno9, you're most likely right there and I'm glad you pointed it out, as I'd started to doubt myself on this not long after I submitted my earlier post.
I reckon now that Joe Slaven was Jamie Slaven's grandfather - and it was the late Jim, the Chase's singer, who was his father.
I used to work beside Jamie, though I don't see him very often now. His brother Paul I think followed in his dad's footsteps and ended up playing in a local band as well.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Unless I'm mistaken Gill McDonald was one of the first managers/bath masters at Saltcoats indoor pool.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Meekan, I thought there was only the outdoor one that's now long gone.

Edit: I realise now that you must be referring to Auchenharvie Pool - which kinda sit's half way between Stevenston and Saltcoats. :)