Ardeer Golf Club cup winners 1972/73

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Ardeer Golf Club cup winners 1972/73

Post by down south »

Ardeer Golf Club held an annual handicap competition in June open to non-members called the McGilchrist Cup, and here are some of the prizewinners.

In 1972 the winner was Harry Duff of Saltcoats:
Harry Duff 1972.jpg
And in 1973 it was Abe Milligan , also of Saltcoats and a member of the club. He is shown with the other prize winners: local players Harry Murphy and John Gavin senior, and Jack Cannon of Irvine, former Scottish Amateur champion and winner of the scratch award.There was a record entry of 206 players that year.
Ardeer Golf Club prizewinners June 1973.jpg
Susan
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Ardeer Golf Club cup winners 1972/73

Post by Vivc113 »

Great pix. Wonder why it was called the McGilchrist cup.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

I recognise John Gavin 2nd from left, but don't think either of the others is Jackie Cannon, who would have been about 60 by then?
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Most of the Trophies, Shields and Cups etc that are played for annually up at Ardeer these days will have been donated at some point.

Family of past captains or prominent committee members who've passed away often want their loved ones to be remembered by their club and will sometimes offer to donate a trophy to be played for every year. On some such occasions the club itself will pay for this, especially if the person gave particularly good service over a long period of time.

Sponsorship-wise, many golf clubs these days rely heavily not just on members subscriptions but also on supportive local businesses etc - the contributing company will not only gain exposure at the club but also on local media outlets etc.

Sometimes though, a club member with a few bob just takes a wee notion and offers to donate a new trophy, provided he/she/ gets their name on it.

Although I don't know the origin, I think the McGilchrist comes into the first category here, as it's been one of the most well known and sought after Cups at Ardeer for many many years. :)
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Apologies exile, it only goes to show you should never assume; I took it that the " other prizewinners " shown in the picture were the same people as were mentioned in the accompanying little article, but obviously I wasn't entirely correct.

Susan
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Vivc113 wrote:Great pix. Wonder why it was called the McGilchrist cup.
. I have made some enquiries and it was presented by a Captain McGilchrist to be played for as a completion open to all amateur golfers. It was first played for at the old course which was where the Nylon plant was built. It has always been the most prestigious competition at Ardeer Golf Club. Haven't found out yet his connection with the club.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Brill thanks!!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".