Stevenston Water Works

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Stevenston Water Works

Post by Vivc113 »

Very interesting!!

Was this Jim Paterson a nice man? How did he come to get this job?

These days the old waterman's cottage is back to life, with someone renting it!! It's no longer white though the way it used to be. It is now grey. Glad I took a pic of it before they painted it.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Jim was one of the old school who stuck to rules. He was a bit inflexible and made many enemies. He relied on his wife in that he couldn't cook for himself. What is a nice man? well Vivy I don't know but I did get on with him and I think he liked me.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

How did he come to get the job? Well he worked his way up from the ranks. He used to talk about being snowed in and living on porridge in some isolated places to do with working for the board. He was appointed manager down at Largs where he lived away up in the hills. In the early sixties he was appointed manager for the Stevenston works were he stayed until he retired moving to a council house in Morrison Avenue.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote:Jim was one of the old school who stuck to rules. He was a bit inflexible and made many enemies.
I'm liking him already.

I am wondering what the new people in the house have done with the evil looking statue the previous owners had in the window. I should have offered to pay for it, and would probably have got it!!!
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
Chico1968
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chico1968 »

At last,I have a much better image of the water works.Image2018-01-11_24 by Charles Gordon, on Flickr
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 0802 »

Chico1968 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 pm At last,I have a much better image of the water works.
Great picture. It looks like an old church judging by the windows. I don’t know if they’re related but there’s a waterworks north of the golf course now.
chef
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chef »

Yes ,The entrance to the old waterworks is about 400 yards up from Ardeer Golf Course( new one) and to the right as you go up that road.