Three Towns in the 50's

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
FlyingAl
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Three Towns in the 50's

Post by FlyingAl »

Hi all,

Been a long time since my last post but I have something 'hopefully' really interesting for you.

My wife's uncle passed away a few years ago, his name was Norman Yarr, he was a local projectionist for many years, anyway we finally got around to getting some of his old film reels converted, film that was shot by Norman's family.

It shows many local scenes along with bonnie leslie parades, queen of the sea gala parades and crownings, it even has the queen and prince philip being driven along new street in stevenston.

Film is here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDWfp3ZBlus

Enjoy

Alan
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Three Towns in the 50's

Post by morag »

was there not a hairdresser connection?
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
chriso
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by chriso »

Yes Morag, Norman had a sister Freda Yarr, who had a hairdressers shop in New Street in the early sixties.
I've just had a quick look at the film and I saw a very Young Billy McCart in it.
Idiot - seeks village.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Terrific film, Alan; there should be a lot of Stinsonians of a certain age who'll recognise themselves and their friends and relatives , especially from all the scenes of schoolchildren on sports days and even in the classroom. Surprisingly obliging of the school in those days to allow such " time-wasting " as the filming of a geometry lesson !

I see there's also an interesting segment just before the halfway point of the film which shows the aftermath of the famous fire at Pringle's garage in 1955, with the camera panning over the ruins of the garage and of the old Kyleshill School, which will be sadly nostalgic for veteran Kyleshill pupils; still the only pictures of that old school online that I'm aware of. Interesting to see that the datestone proclaimed that it was built by Stevenston School Board; I suppose the school boards went by parish, one for Ardrossan and one for Stevenston.

Susan
madge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by madge »

As a Stinsonian this film brought back many happy memories of growing up in the area.
Recognised loads of people, sadly couldn't name them all.

Remember Yarrs Hairdresser, it was next to Ham and Egg Close.

Bonnie Lesley in the film along with Provost Morrison I believe was Anne Evans whose family had RT Evans
photographers in New Street and whose aunt had baby shop Rea's also in New Street. I think Anne was
Bonnie Lesley in 1953/54

The ladies having a day out at the shore were very well dressed complete with hats and handbags.
My how things have changed.

Madge
Trust in God but row away from the rocks
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

How right you are Madge, though not sure I mind some of the changes! I don't like wearing hats, probably due to having to sport one to church on Sundays..along with gloves and 'girlie' clothes. I was a tomboy! Think Evans also had a shop, studio in Saltcoats? Rea's was a favourite of my mum's got sent there often for stuff for our wee sis. Shopkeepers then knew their customers and their families, the entire community was interrelated, I swear I couldn'y have done anything in the 3 toons but my mum would know before I got home.. ;)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
PennyCaramel
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PennyCaramel »

Wow, many many thanks for posting this. Lots of shots of places already discussed at some length on these forums. The wee train and grandstand at Rec, shore pavilion and swings and the old cross to name but a few. A precious piece of our history.
PennyCaramel
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PennyCaramel »

chemicalrow.jpg

Nicked this still from the putting green scene in film,. Can anybody confirm for me me if this is the Chemical row / Ponderosa in the background please?
MMACM20
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MMACM20 »

Do you have any more footage of James Morrison either of his time as provost or of the bakery? My father is his youngest grandchild and he’ll be 80 soon! Would be great if I could show him some more footage of old Grandpa Morrison
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Had a look and found this. It's taken at Ardchoille Park Opening in 1953 Provost Morrison and Willie Mann.
1953.jpg
Check your PM's I've sent you a note.
MMACM20
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MMACM20 »

Thanks! That’s great :D
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

MMACM20,

You may already have retrieved the following items by wording searching the site but in case not I have previously posted them in the THIS DAY IN HISTORY topic. There may be others?:-

GLASGOW HERALD
20 NOVEMBER 1907

STEVENSTON PARISH COUNCIL ELECTION

For nine seats the following have been nominated – Hugh Thomson, James Patrick, William Kirkwood, C. O. Lundholm, John Montgomery, Alexander Mitchell, Alexander McGregor, Robert Becket, James Morrison, George Sinclair, and Matthew Orr. The last three are new candidates.

GLASGOW HERALD
24 APRIL 1922

CONFERENCE ON DISARMAMENT AT SALTCOATS

A conference on disarmament convened with the approval of various public bodies in Ardrossan, Saltcoats, and Stevenston, took place on Saturday afternoon in the Masonic Hall, Saltcoats.

The Rev. D. D. Rees presided at the initial part of the proceedings and Mr. James Morrison later.

There was a good attendance.

Addresses were delivered by Mr. A. J. Bedford, Glasgow, and the Rev. Charles Richardson, Montrose Street, E.U. Church, Glasgow.

A resolution was approved welcoming the movement initiated at the Washington Conference towards international disarmament; affirming its conviction that simultaneous and drastic disarmament in all countries is urgently called for; and urging upon the Government and members of Parliament the necessity for such modifications in our foreign policy, alliances and commitments, and for the adoption of such methods for the settlement of international disputes as shall prevent recourse to war.

It was also resolved to form a Disarmament Council.

GLASGOW HERALD
13 NOVEMBER 1935

COUNTY COUNCIL ELECTION

Nominations of candidates in the landward area were lodged with Mr J. F. Shaw, County Clerk, the Returning Officer, at Ayr.

STEVENSTON AND ARDROSSAN SOUTH

Thomas Lambie, and James Morrison.

STEVENSTON AND ARDROSSAN NORTH

Hugh Conway, John Finnigan, James Patrick, and Henry W. Ramsay.

GLASGOW HERALD
1 JULY 1947

IN APPRECIATION

In appreciation of his services on the Old Parish Council, the District and County Councils, as well as on local charitable and church organisations, Mr James Morrison, Stevenston, has been presented with his portrait in oils.

Mr Morrison, a master baker, is well known in the bakery trade.

ELLENSBURGH DAILY RECORD
28 APRIL 1955

BILLY GRAHAM'S ALL-SCOTLAND CRUSADE

.....BILLY GRAHAM left Glasgow Wednesday to address a big open-air rally at Tynecastle Park in Edinburgh. He had been preaching nightly to great crowds in Glasgow's Kelvin Hall, with phenomenal success.....

JAMES MORRISON, 95-year old Provost of Stevenston, Ayrshire, one of the few men able to compare DWIGHT L MOODY and BILLY GRAHAM, attended the services at Kelvin Hall Wednesday night. Always a devoted servant of the church, he had seen Billy on television and decided to travel from Ayrshire to hear him in person.

His verdict: "Doctor Graham is a better speaker." But he added there was a power in the words of Moody "which could not be explained."

GLASGOW HERALD
3 NOVEMBER 1958

BAKING FIRM TAKEN OVER

The old-established business of James Morrison & Sons, Limited, whose headquarters are in Stevenston, Ayrshire, has been taken over by Spillers Ltd., Flour Millers, Glasgow.

The firm, one of the few remaining independent wholesale bakery companies in Scotland, employ nearly 100 workers. They concentrate largely on deliveries of loaf bread in the Ayr and Greenock areas. In addition to breadmaking they also produce pastries and rolls. They have several retail shops in the district.

James Morrison & Sons began as a small bakery in Argyle Street, Glasgow, in the 1860s. After their removal to Ayrshire they were developed largely by the present director, Mr. James Morrison.

Mr. Morrison who is 99, became the first Provost of Stevenston when the town received burgh status several years ago. There are three directors, the other two being Mr. Morrison's sons. Mr. Morrison has been honorary treasurer of the Master Bakers' Benevolent Fund for more than 50 years."

[Another newspaper article specifies the Argyle Street, Glasgow, address as No. 444 and suggest Mr. James Morrison started in his father's business at 11 years of age.]

THE BULLETIN
28 MAY 1959

MR MORRISON (99) GOES TO A BALL

Mr. Morrison, 99-year-old Stevenston, Ayrshire, baker went to a ball last night in Ayr.

He was there until 2 a.m. today although he does not do any dancing nowadays.

The ball was held at the end of the Scottish Association of Master Bakers.

BIBLE GIFT

Mr. Morrison went to the conference too. In fact he spoke for 10 minutes without microphone or notes and was loudly cheered.

Mr. Robert Mathieson, Falkirk, who was installed as president of the association was given a bible by Mr. Morrison.

The old man fought to achieve burgh status for Stevenston and became the town’s first provost at the age of 92. He held office for three years.

He has been a session clerk of Livingstone Church, Stevenston, for 60 years and an elder for 70 years.

Mr. Morrison reaches his century in July.

GLASGOW HERALD
10 JULY 1961

SPECIAL DELIVERY ON 102ND BIRTHDAY

Mr. James Morrison, who was 102 yesterday, attended the morning service at Livingstone Church, Stevenston.

The Post Office made a special delivery to his home at Woodside, 51 High Road, Stevenston, yesterday of 24 telegrams and bundles of birthday cards.

Mr. Morrison, who was born in Glasgow, became the first provost of Stevenston at the age of 92 and the town’s first freeman four years later.

GLASGOW HERALD
19 AUGUST 1963

OBITUARY
MR. JAMES MORRISON
FIRST PROVOST OF STEVENSTON

The death occurred at his home in Stevenston, Ayrshire, on Saturday of Mr. James Morrison, the first provost of the town and a well-known figure in Scotland, particularly in bakery trade circles. He was 104.

Mr. Morrison, the son of a master baker, was born in Argyle Street, Glasgow, in 1859. He started his career as a baker in 1870, moving to Stevenston in 1883, and two years later, after his marriage, took over the bakery at which he had been employed as a foreman. The business at Fullarton Place grew to large proportions under the management of Mr. Morrison and his family over the years and remained independent until 1958 when it was sold to Spillers.

Mr. Morrison played a leading part in the efforts made over 50 years to have burgh status conferred on the town and when this was achieved 10 years ago he became the first provost at the age of 94, holding office for three years. On his 96th birthday he became the first freeman of the town.

He was president of the Scottish Association of Master Bakers in 1919-20 and convenor of the association’s benevolent fund committee for more than 40 years. He attended the association’s annual conference regularly until 1961.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.