Old stevenston shops 1970s 1980s early 90s,

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
John McColm
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Old stevenston shops 1970s 1980s early 90s,

Post by John McColm »

peterm1711 wrote:There was a Asian grocer's shop next to the Chinese restaurant, beside the little lane that took you out to the cross.

I'm sure the baker's was Galbraiths, not Park's. I'm certain Park's was in New Street, and incidentally, the owner died this week, aged 72. See obituaries in the ASH section.
Sad to hear of Mr Parks' death, my brother Alan and I used to go down every Saturday morning to wash the cars of local businesses on New St. on the cleared ground where the new centre was built - The Evans (when they still had a photo processing plant at the back of the shop) Parks (we'd get paid And get a mutton pie straight from the oven) - and then I'd spend a pound on 'ammo' for my Sekoden gun from Pelligrini's, my personal favourit shop. The new bakers shop was indeed 'Greasy Gallie's'

I preffered the older shops though. Should come back up and have a look and a proper remenisce and visit my mum and dad's grave really. ...was Mays not on the top road along from the Blue Star garage?
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

was Mays not on the top road along from the Blue Star garage?
opposite BS filling station was Winnnings....along Glencairn Street next to the High Kirk was Bisset's
Big Sanny
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Big Sanny »

Wiinnings was "up the Hayocks" next door to the Cooperative(The Co!), Pops was opposite the Blue Star Garage if I remember rightly.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

You are right Big Sanny.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

The one next to the Blue Star was called "Pops" Winning bought it at one time as did Veronica
Winning did have the Hayocks one,forever but he or they bought up to 3 more
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

My daughter took part in a threetowns street dancing display,in the 80's.The Stevenston one was in the Shopping Center.No sooner had the piper started up ,when a dog decided to join in . Funniest thing, had us all in stitches. //funny

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

stivis wrote:The one next to the Blue Star was called "Pops" Winning bought it at one time as did Veronica
Winning did have the Hayocks one,forever but he or they bought up to 3 more

Winning had the shop/post office up the top of Hayocks Road back in the 60's & 70's, then if I remember correctly, a family called Evans took it over. It has new owners again now, just this last year or so.

Winning also had a little newsagents/tobacconist shop across the road from the Station Bar at the same time as the one up the top end.

Pop's as I recall, back in the 60's & 70's, was run by two step-brothers. Alan McAlpine & Robert Patterson.

Bissett's on Glencairn Street has a family called Dunn ((I'm sure :mrgreen: ) running it now.
gerv
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by gerv »

Winnings was sold to Ruth Wishart and her brother ?Gibb, Ruth used to work in the shop and post office, the Evans Peter is talking about was Winnings daughter and her husband whos name surname was Evans,

Gerv
Colmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Colmac »

I worked in the butcher's from 1976 the week I left school and was there possibly for around three years. At the finish up the shop was closing, and the owner at that time, Englishman Cecil Hutchison, was in financial difficulties. His carpet shop in Kilwinning had 'mysteriously' caught fire and he informed staff in Stevenston the butcher's would close in a couple of months. Along with that month's shop manager ( :D ) we were both offered a job with Alex Bickett in Ardrossan who had just opened his premises in Glasgow Street.

I cant honestly remember If the mall shop stayed open or not, or closed and re-opened at a later date. It certainly was a business with a high turnover of staff in my time as an apprentice. Dates too are a tad clouded and I could be out slightly - but on the whole it's correct.
tricky
New Poster
New Poster

Post by tricky »

peterm1711 wrote:There was a Asian grocer's shop next to the Chinese restaurant, beside the little lane that took you out to the cross.

I'm sure the baker's was Galbraiths, not Park's. I'm certain Park's was in New Street, and incidentally, the owner died this week, aged 72. See obituaries in the ASH section.

I'm pretty sure the grocer on the Wonderloaf side of the cross was callef Harvey's. I went to school with Mr.Park's son Alex.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

It was Galbraiths ! Harvey !! I remember him from my childhood in 70s. If only he was still there.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Hi .. I don't have any photos of the shopping arcade in New Street Stevenston from that time, but maybe I can add a memory or two.

Going back to when it opened, I believe it would have been sometime in "74" The reason I say that is because I worked from 71-73 in John Brown Butchers, which was demolished (along with the rest of the top half of New street on that side) to make way for the new arcade. I think it was sometime in May/June 73 that the shop closed and we finished up, the month I'm not 100% on, but the year? yes. So I'm not too sure if there would have been enough time to demolish almost half a street and then build and open the new shopping precinct before the turn of that year.

WellparkNo9 makes a good point about the "Amusements" not being there till much later on. Round about 1980? That sits well with me because I started a job in the arcade in 79, in what was known at the time as Hastings and Black Butchers. I seem to recall a "British Relay" television rental showroom in those premises before Cullis's Amusements came on the scene, and I remember a few months later us guys in the butchers noticing that although the big TV company had moved out, they'd clean forgotten to take the big TV Ariel that was up on the roof with them. It soon disappeared :roll:

The fruit and veg shop in the arcade (next door to the Chemists) was, I think, known as "Cameron Fruiters" and was indeed taken over at some point by an Asian family.

Bojangles sat next door to us at the butcher's and Tommy the proprietor was a great guy, I think his surname might have been "Howie" There was another similar type of shop in Saltcoats run by his brother. They both loved their holidays abroad (Tommy almost always had a suntan) and I believe they owned an apartment in Benidorm.
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.