Some local ministers, early 1970s

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some local ministers, early 1970s

Post by down south »

Time for some more additions to the gallery of local clergy.

And here's a picture from March 1972 , which shows the newly inducted minister of Park Church Ardrossan, the Rev George Wilson, at a social event held at the church to welcome him and his wife. Mr Wilson had come from Craigneuk Parish Church in Wishaw, and replaced the Rev David Lyall as minister.
Rev Wilson Park Church 1972.jpg

The session clerk, Mr A. Caldwell, led the welcome on behalf of the congregation, with several other members making presentations ; and the Rev James Ewing spoke for the ministers of Ardrossan Presbytery.

He's there on the left of the picture; but I don't see any of the others we've mentioned so far...though I think the minister on the far right was one of those in the Rev Thomson anniversary photo. ( Of course I don't know what extent of churches were members of Ardrossan Presbytery ; may even be wider than the parish, and that in itself extended nearly to Dalry . )

The Rev Wilson will presumably be in the centre, along with his wife. Only one other minister of those present is named ; the Rev William Burnside of Overton Church, West Kilbride, described as the " interim moderator ".

And seeing that name had me suddenly realising that the other lady to the right looked rather familiar.
Possibly Mrs Burnside.jpg
Possibly Mrs Burnside.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 7989 times
I think she may well be the Mrs Burnside, who taught English at Ardrossan Academy in my day : I had no idea, if that is so, that she was a minister's wife, but it does all seem to fit. I'd certainly welcome a second opinion from my Academy contemporaries.

Susan
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

That's Mrs Burnside ok. Great teacher ...

Meg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The Rev David Lyall was mentioned in the previous posting, and he's one of those in this A&S Herald photo from September 1971, which shows the leading figures attending the induction at Saltcoats Baptist Church of Ron Campbell as full-time Port Missionary and pastor to the Seamen's Mission .
Port missionary induction 1971.jpg
All of them were listed in a brief accompanying article, but not identified in the picture. However I can recognise Ron Campbell himself from our earlier picture of him, in the centre of the front row. Next to him are some very familiar figures: David Lambie MP, and his wife Netta, at the time Provost of Saltcoats. And also there once more is the Rev Ewing, second from left in the back row.

Also present were the Rev William Orr of Irvine Baptist Church, who presided at the ceremony; the Rev David Lyall of Park Church; the Rev Robert Hepburn of Saltcoats Baptist Church; Mr A V Ferguson of Ailsa Road Free Church, Troon; and Mr Frank M Trumble, general secretary and superintendent of the Seamen's Society. Any further names that can be fitted to the faces, will as usual be welcome.

Susan
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

The priest standing second from the right is Father Alastair Tosh of Saint Peter's Church in Ardrossan.

George
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Here now are a few more Saltcoats ministers. All extracted from bigger photos, but I think the complete ones would be more usefully posted separately under the headings of their respective occasions.

This first one is the Rev John Robertson of North Parish Church, pictured in 1974:
Rev John Robertson.jpg
Rev John Robertson.jpg (9.49 KiB) Viewed 7884 times
Next comes the Free Church minister, who I think I'm right in saying was still the Rev Robert Christie at the 1970 date of this picture:
Saltcoats Free Church minister 1969.jpg
Saltcoats Free Church minister 1969.jpg (8.69 KiB) Viewed 7884 times
And here is a minister pictured welcoming a gathering outside the Landsborough Trinity Church in 1972. From the church service listings in the Herald, the usual minister there at that date was the Rev Gordon Weir, so that is probably him. Recently mentioned also, as having lived in a manse just off Kyleshill.
LT minister May 1972.jpg
LT minister May 1972.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 7884 times
Susan
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

Rev john Robertson was the north parish church minister until he retired not sure if it was late 80's or early 90's. He was always mistaken for rev Ian paisley from Ireland. He told my friend and I how he went hospital visiting with his collar on and was bombarded by these two patients who,thought he was Ian paisley and who were fans so to speak. He said he would never wear his collar again on hospital visitations. When he retired he and his wife bought a house in argyle rd. I've been looking for media info on his passing and have so far drawn a blank. I was told that he got mugged walking through the glebe and died as a result. He was a good minister to put up with us. margb
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

What a dreadful thing to happen, Margaret, if that was the case; sad to hear.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Here now are two more ministers from Stevenston. This first picture ,from April 1972, shows the Rev Iain Roy of Livingstone Parish Church, on the occasion of his being presented with new robes.
Rev Iain Roy 1972.jpg
The Rev Roy was also present at this event in June 1969; in fact I think I can probably recognise him in the photo, fifth from left in the back row. It's from the occasion of the welcome for the new minister of Ardeer Parish Church, the Rev R Alan Knox, and his wife ,which combined induction and social. He was only the fourth minister in the church's history.
Rev Knox induction, 1969.jpg
Also named as present were local ministers Rev J Heron; Rev C M MacKenzie, moderator of the presbytery; Rev G Hudson of Kilbirnie; Rev M MacLeod of Fairlie; along with several previous colleagues of the Rev Knox. Others who may also be pictured include Mr T D Sandford,session clerk; Mr Norman J Gaw,senior elder;Mr James Lockhart; Mr G McNeilly; Mrs Jean Hyndman; Miss J McIntosh; Mrs T Walker, organist; and Mrs D Frew, who sang solos.

PS It seems that the Rev Knox didn't stay in Stevenston long; as this short article describes, less than five years later he was on the move again:

STEVENSTON MINISTER GOING TO HELENSBURGH

A call to the Rev R Alan Knox of Ardeer Parish Church, Stevenston, from St Bride's Church, Helensburgh, was presented to Mr Knox at the meeting of the Presbytery of Ardrossan on Tuesday. Mr Knox, who has been minister at Ardeer since June 1969, was sole nominee for the vacancy at Helensburgh.

At the Presbytery meeting the session clerk at Ardeer, Mr W Wright, paid tribute to the "excellent work and dedication " Mr Knox had given at Ardeer. " Many members of the congregation, " he said, " have come to me and asked that I pass on their thanks and best wishes for the future to Mr Knox. " Mr J Rodgers, Presbytery Elder for Ardeer, expressed his deep regret that Mr Knox was leaving, but added that it gave him great pride and happiness to know that Mr Knox had been selected on his merits.

In accepting the call Mr Knox thanked everyone who had helped and encouraged him during his four years in Stevenston, in particular the assistance given by his two Stevenston colleagues, the Rev J Heron and the Rev I Roy.

The induction of Mr Knox by the Presbytery of Dumbarton to St Bride's, Helensburgh will take place on February 6th.

Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald, 18th January 1974

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Here now is another Saltcoats minister, the Rev George Balls of St Cuthbert's Church.
Rev George Balls 1972.jpg
He's shown in June 1972 receiving new robes after being capped Doctor of Divinity by the University of St Andrews. Presenting them to him on behalf of the members of the kirk session is session clerk Mr Adam Archibald.

The Rev Balls is also prominent in this picture, which shows staff and ministers at the official opening of a lift at South Beach Eventide Home, run by the Church of Scotland, in June 1968. I think I can also spot the Rev John Hay in the middle of the back row, and there may well be other local CoS ministers among those in the picture.
South Beach Home 1968.jpg
Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

One more Church of Scotland minister here, at a coffee morning held by the churches of Ardrossan Presbytery in aid of the South Beach Eventide Home in June 1974. Since the St Cuthbert's minister was the Rev George Balls, he must have been from one of the other local churches.
Eventide Home fundraiser 1974.jpg
Susan
CamR
New Poster
New Poster

Post by CamR »

Hi Susan and also Margb....I'm not really sure how this site works, so forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

My name is Cameron Robertson...John Robertson was my dad.

Thank you very much for the photo , also your comments..Thats the reason why I'm replying.

The assault that you mentioned happened in either 94 or 95 (I'd have to check the dates at my mums to be more accurate) Basically he was walking his dog and got in an altercation with another dog owner. The other dog owner pushed him too the ground. A horrible thing, definitely, but my dad shrugged it off in his own inimitable fashion, and carried on as before.

My father had had heart problems for many years and had 5 previous major heart attacks. It in no way stopped him in doing what he loved.

In october 2006, aged 63, after a day of doing the usual things....walking up and down Hamilton and Dockhead street, talking to absolutely everyone. He came home had his dinner, took the dog out, went to bed and to sleep.

His funeral took place in Kilwinning Abbey, and he's buried in Vale of Leven Cemetry, Dumbartonshire, very near to where his parents and grandparents rest.
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by margb »

CamR
I thank you for clearing up what happened to your dad. It didn't seem right that he should have gone the way I
thought. No wonder I couldnt find anything. He was such a patient man especially with Anne and I. He reckoned he knew that when we were there he had two people listening to him. My mum told me that altho she wasn't a church member he always stopped and asked how I was doing in Australia which I'm very grateful for. Please I am truly sorry for your dads passing. margb (Campbell).
Hope you stay on the site and welcome.