Some local ministers, early 1970s

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Some local ministers, early 1970s

Post by down south »

After our recent visits to manses, here's a fine group picture of local ministers.
Ardrossan ministers 1972.jpg
They're all likely to be connected with Ardrossan, since they were responsible for conducting an interdenominational open-air service at South Beach as part of Ardrossan Civic Week in June 1972.

The Rev Ewing, in the centre of the picture, is a very familiar figure; minister of Barony Church and school chaplain of Ardrossan Academy at the time. I think I'm right in saying Ardrossan had a very well-known lady minister...quite a rarity in those days; so I'm pretty sure that will be her beside him.

That's an interestingly nautical-looking fellow on the left meanwhile; might he have.something to do with the Seamens' Mission perhaps ?

. And with luck some of you will be able to recognise some of the others too.

Susan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Some local ministers, early 1970s

Post by Hughie »

down south wrote:That's an interestingly nautical-looking fellow on the left meanwhile; might he have.something to do with the Seamens' Mission perhaps ?
Think you might be right there, Susan. That looks like the preacher I remember from the Seamans' Mission. Last time I would have saw him would have been in the mid 1950s at the mission in Seaton Street. I always looked upon him at that time as Lou Costello's twin brother - at that time Abbott and Costello were always tops at the Lyric picture house.

The Seaman's Mission along with Jock Trodden's Gospel Hall was all part of our exposure to religion in Ardrossan back then.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

down south wrote:... I think I'm right in saying Ardrossan had a very well-known lady minister...quite a rarity in those days; so I'm pretty sure that will be her beside him.
The lady minister you have in mind was the Rev Jean Thomson, minister of the EU Congregational Church (although I did meet her a few times later in her life, I can't be sure if the lady in the picture is indeed Jean Thomson). Might be interesting to note that Jean Thomson was the sister of Rev Peter G. Thomson, minister for many years of Irvine and Fullarton Parish Church (near the railway station in Irvine). I believe that Jean Thomson became a minister of the EU Congregational Church because the Church of Scotland did not accept women as ministers at that time. Clearly they were a family of religious service: another Thomson sister (whose forename I forget) was involved in running a Church of Scotland home in Edinburgh for many years.

Edit: I came across the following detail on this web site about Beith:
Many ministers and pastors have served in Beith. Interestingly, Rev Jean Thomson accepted a call to be minister in Beith's EU congregation in February 1946. This was a momentous time in the life of the congregation as they had never before had a woman elder or manager. Miss Thomson had been working as assistant to a future Moderator of the Kirk, Rev Leonard Small, at West High Church, Kilmarnock. And it was some time before the Church of Scotland were to ordain lady ministers. In 1954 Miss Thomson left to take up a post in Ardrossan Congregational Church and preached her farewell service on 14 February 1954, the 8th anniversary of her coming to Beith.
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

The lady in the picture is, indeed, Jean Thomson - my friend (and the Coalman, Peter Milne's grand daughter) Christine was a regular attendee at the EU church - and I used to go with her.

Meg
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

I was a member of the Barony church, and remember Mr Ewing, he baptised me when I was 21, only way
I could get married in the church, he was very nice and friendly ...
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The Gentlemen in the naval type uniform is Ron Campbell from the Seaman's Mission in Ardrossan. He may have gone under the title, Pastor? He was also a Special Constable with the Ayrshire Constabulary, working out of Green Street Police Station in Saltcoats. I think he only arrived in Ardrossan around 1970 and certainly wouldn't have been the gentleman Hughie remembered from the 50s. That may have been WALTER WANDS in respect of whom I previously found a reference from that decade. His title seems to have been Mission Superintendent.

I also remember the Rev. Jean Thomson whose Manse was in Eglinton Road, Ardrossan. Every Easter and Christmas the pupils of Eglinton and Winton Schools were marched down to either St. John's Church in Barr Street or Miss Thomson's EU Church in Glasgow Street to hear appropriate sermons and belt out seasonal hymns.

The names of the ministers I recall from St. John's Church were HAY and WOTHERSPOON but I'm reluctant to name either from Susan's photo.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

At the extreme right is Canon Lawrence Fischer and third from right is Father Alistair Tosh, both from Saint Peter's Church.

George
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks a lot all of you, for all those identifications. And good to see that even as far back as those days, such an ecumenical spirit was prevailing among the local clergy.

Your seamens' pastor sounds very well suited to his role, PT; someone well equipped to navigate the rough and ready side of life around the port .

And what a pioneer the Rev Thomson must have been, entering the ministry as far back as 1946. She looks so young to have already been a minister for over 25 years by then.

I thought I'd seen something else about her somewhere, and I've succeeded in coming up with it : here it now is, a feature from the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald about the events surrounding her anniversary, or " semi-jubilee " as they call it, the previous year in March 1971.
Rev Jean Thomson anniversary 1971.jpg
There are quite a lot of ministers here too, in this main picture showing guests at a celebratory social event that marked the occasion along with a special service. But as you'll see from the report several of them had come from a distance, including her childhood minister and some very senior representative of the EU Church; proof of the high respect she was clearly held in. But there may still be some local figures among them, and there surely will be among the non-clerics present.

I see by the way that among the messages of congratulation she received was one from the famous Captain Campbell ( no relation I take it... ), who must have been quite a near neighbour in Eglinton Road. New readers can find out more about him and his poems here:

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 061#p80061

Susan

MISS THOMSON HONOURED ON 25 YEARS OF SERVICE

The Rev Jean Thomson, of Ardrossan EU Congregational Church, celebrated her semi jubilee in the ministry on Monday night when she was presented with gifts from her congregation.

The presentation of new robes was made to Miss Thomson by two senior members of the church, Mrs Jane Kay and Mrs A. Gray, and the hood was placed on her head by Mr James Barr, president of the church. She also received a cheque from the congregation.

[attachment=0]Mrs Gray and Mrs Kay.jpg[/attachment]

The presentation took place before 500 friends, colleagues and relations of Miss Thomson who gathered in Ardrossan to see her honoured by her congregation.

Mr John Blair, church secretary, told the gathering, "Since Miss Thomson came to Ardrossan 17 years ago, the congregation has more than doubled and through her efforts we have been able to carry out considerable improvements in the church. This is an indication of how good her ministry in Ardrossan has been."

Provost Joseph McManus, representing Ardrossan Town Council, said. "Twenty-five years ago, when we were still licking the wounds of the war, we saw the many jobs that women could do. However, many of us at this time were not keen on the idea of lady ministers but those of us who doubted have had our doubts dispelled by Jean Thomson. We hope that she will have continued strength and I salute her as a churchman and as provost."

Several other colleagues and friends paid tribute to Miss Thomson and among the letters of congratulations she received were messages from Captain Ian Campbell, who signed as Ardrossan's "ancient mariner" and from Beith Congregational Church where Miss Thomson was ordained as a minister.

Miss Thomson also received a silver cruet set presented by Father Tosh on behalf of the parish of St Peter's and a silver sugar basin and cream jug from St Anne's Guild.

Among those present on Monday were the secretary and president of the Scottish Evangelical Union, the Rev J. T. George and the Rev James Shanks, Cumbernauld; the Rev John Taylor of Nairn Congregational Church, Miss Thomson's minister when she was a child, who had travelled 200 miles to be present; and also representatives from all local churches in the area.

Last Sunday a united service for all denominations was held in Ardrossan EU Church to mark Miss Thomson's semi-jubilee in the ministry. The preacher was the Rev James Proudfoot, Kircaldy, and among those taking part was the Rev Peter Thomson of Fullarton Parish Church, Irvine, Miss Thomson's brother.
Attachments
Mrs Gray and Mrs Kay.jpg
Last edited by down south on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

Nice follow-up Susan. Your item ends with reference to 'the Rev Peter Thomson of Fullarton Parish Church, Irvine, Miss Thomson's brother'. He is seated on the front right of the group photo (reproduced below):

I'm still saving up for a signature.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan,

The gentleman - back rown second left - is, I think, a Mr. Gray. If I'm right he worked in Ardossan Post Office and may even have been the Postmaster. Possibly lived around Firth View Terrace.

Provost Joe McManus is, of course, - front row second left. He lived in Parkhouse Gardens.

And the gentleman - front row fourth from the left - is the Mr. John Blair, EU Church Secretary. He was a local painter and decorator and lived in Rowanside Terrace.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks very much for those identifications, George and PT. :) And there's now another here.

And given that we have this topic going, there seems no reason not to add a few more pictures of local clergymen of the time to create something of a gallery . I've been looking around in my collection of old papers and come across quite a few in which they feature...some identified, some not.

So here to start with is the Rev W.J.R. Hay , who as PT earlier mentioned was a minister of St John's Church in Ardrossan . The photo appeared in fact on the occasion of his departure after 13 years there , in April 1972; he had received a " call " from a church at Leslie in Fife.
Rev  Hay 1972.jpg
Rev Hay 1972.jpg (9.88 KiB) Viewed 10772 times

Also while we're about it, here's another good picture of Ron Campbell of the Seamens' mission, or Port Missionary as he's officially described; he's seen with Provost McManus and some of the audience at a Festival of the Sea in May 1972 held by supporters of the mission.
Port missionary Ron Campbell.jpg
Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Time to add a few more pictures of local clergy figures to this topic; and this time here are a couple from Stevenston....from very different parts of the religious spectrum.

This first one shows Canon *Paterson, presiding over a sale of work held by St John's RC Church scout group in June 1969; it raised £ 250 for their funds. Maybe some of the helpers may also be familiar.
Canon Paterson at St John's cubs fete.jpg
*PS Or at least the Herald said it was Canon Paterson; but he has now been identified as Canon Maxwell. See here.

And here meanwhile is the Rev Albert Herd, of the Ardeer United Free Church; pictured in April 1972 with the young winners of a Bible competition ( who are named as Alison McGregor, Lorraine Robb, and Lorraine Stevenston.). I believe from reading earlier posts, that some of you knew him quite well ; and his church, which apparently was best known as the Tin Kirk. See http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 738#p44738
Rev Herd 1972.jpg
Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.