Saltcoats Worthies (1)

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Saltcoats Worthies (1)

Post by Hughie »

My late brother, a professional photographer, took many images of those who were said to be, 'Saltcoats worthies'. Saltcoats Museum staff some years ago uncovered a box containing some of those images and past them on to me. I'm unsure of the dates, but I'd suspect they would have been taken after 1970 - I'll post more later.

...............Andy Gibson..............................C.Weir.................Davy Marshall............William Taylor

...............T. Gardiner.....................................John McElvie.....................Angus Anderson..........Bernard Cassidy

..................Image
.........................James Kelly McCallum.........................At Ayr Gaiety

See also: Saltcoats Worthies (2)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Worthies (1)

Post by michaelm »

Wasn't aware you had a pro photographer in the family Hughie.

Unfortunately, not coming from Saltcoats myself I don't recognise anyone in the pics but I'm sure others will.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

top line 4th from left,wee Willie Taylor in front of his tow truck
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Hughie,
The only one I know is Andy Gibson, he had a fruit and vegetable van which he drove round the streets. I think he also had a shop at the bottom of Raise street. this would be the late 50's and early 60's.
I'm nor sure but I heard he did take over the old swimming pool for a while to grow shellfish and other types of seafood.

No too sure about the lollipop man I think he was the one on the High Road at Ardrossan Academy.

Wee Boney
Karentaylor22
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Karentaylor22 »

The first picture is Andy Gibson he owned the boat yard the picture with the man with the truck is William Taylor who was my dad who sadly passed away on the 11th September this year I've contacted the museaum on many occasions looking for this photo of my dad and there was also one of him and Andy Gibson outside my dads scrap yard in front of Andy gi sons boat yard they were situated right next to kyleshill school,the burgh,the coal yard and I between brains plumbing
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Welcome to threetowners, Karen. Sincere condolences on the passing of your dad.