Shanks of Harbour st 1800-182?

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Shanks of Harbour st 1800-182?

Post by Penny Tray »

Meg,

The Roe twins were Helen and Alice. Irene, I think, was a younger sister. I'm sure it's Helen whose married name is Shanks.
Last edited by Penny Tray on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

You're not often wrong PT and you're right again - Irene I think, was more my age - She was a class or two above me at school.

Meg
gshank

Post by gshank »

I am descended from a Captain Walter Shanks, who I believe was born December 18, 1818 in Salt Coats and could very well have been associated with the shipbuilding business. The Captain and his wife Elizabeth, married Dec. 7, 1840 by a Rev. Bryce at the Ardrossan Parrish Church, Saltcoats eventually emigrated to New Brunswick, Canada in the mid-1800's. The Captain had two sons; Walter and David, both born in Salt Coats and Walter with wife Lizzie gave birth to three boys there (Walter, Alan and David) before emigrating to Canada as well.

I would love to learn more about these ancestors and know if they were somehow involved with the shipbuilding yards in Salt Coats. I have been unable to determine what prompted them to move to Canada or leave Scotland. Any help or input would be appreciated.

Gordon Shank
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

There were three Shanks at school with me at one time - mid to late 60's St.Micks. Marie, I think, Angela and Paddy, who was quite the ladies man, but I think they were fresh off the boat..don't know of any previous history.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi ,
1871 Census. Name: Elizabeth Shanhige
[Elizabeth Shanks]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Relationship: Head
Where born: Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Registration Number: 576/1
Registration district: Old Ardrossan
Civil parish: Ardrossan
Town: Saltcoats
County: Ayrshire
Address: Craig View Cott Cattage
ED: 5
Household schedule number: 12
Line: 16
Roll: CSSCT1871_105
Household Members: Name Age
Elizabeth Shanhige 50
Walter Shank 15
David Shank 11

WALTER SHANKS 20 MAY 1855 Ayr, Ayr, Scotland
DAVID SHANKS
Birth: 11 MAR 1860 Ayr, Ayr, Scotland

Walter can be found in the 1819/1822 Census on this site with parents.Also look at High Church Burials on this site .

://immigrantships.net/v2/1800v2/minerva18500515.html

1850 Report or Manifest of all the Passengers taken on board the Brig Minerva, whereof Walter Shanks is Master, from Londonderry, burthen 252 tons and owned by (not filled in) of Ayr, and bound to Philadelphia.
Minerva 1868 iron ship, wrecked 1871 1,365

Ellen
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
unicornheart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by unicornheart »

it is Alice Roe that married Billy Shanks.
gshank

Post by gshank »

Does anyone have any information on a Captain David Shanks from Saltcoats (1810) who died on the ship "Agnes of Glasgow" - Oct. 15, 1858.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Hi Gordon,Are you still with Ancestry.It has David Shanks master cert.B4 July 1810 Saltcoats.Issued 13Feb.1851 at Ayr,certificate No.46,470.Coasting Foreign trade 26 yrs.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
gshank

Post by gshank »

Thanks. Found it. He was Walter Shanks' brother.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

gshank wrote: Sun May 15, 2011 4:28 pm I am descended from a Captain Walter Shanks, who I believe was born December 18, 1818 in Salt Coats and could very well have been associated with the shipbuilding business. The Captain and his wife Elizabeth, married Dec. 7, 1840 by a Rev. Bryce at the Ardrossan Parrish Church, Saltcoats eventually emigrated to New Brunswick, Canada in the mid-1800's. The Captain had two sons; Walter and David, both born in Salt Coats and Walter with wife Lizzie gave birth to three boys there (Walter, Alan and David) before emigrating to Canada as well.

I would love to learn more about these ancestors and know if they were somehow involved with the shipbuilding yards in Salt Coats. I have been unable to determine what prompted them to move to Canada or leave Scotland. Any help or input would be appreciated.

Gordon Shank
Gordon,

It's a wee while since we've heard from you but you may have an interest in the following advert from the 19 March 1852 edition of the Glasgow Herald.

If "W. Shanks, Commander" is the "Captain Walter Shanks" to whom you refer it would seem that he sailed between Ayrshire and New Brunswick in the course of his profession as a seafarer.

"AT TROON – FOR ST. JOHN’S, N.B.

The first class fast sailing brig MINERVA, 253 tons register, W. SHANKS, Commander, will be despatched from Troon for St. John’s on Thursday the 1st April.

For freight or passage, apply on board the ship at Troon; to James Paton & Sons, Ayr; or to Reid & Murray, 62 Jamaica Street, Glasgow."
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.