CAMPBELLs of Stevenston

For those researching family in the three towns area.
danensis
New Poster
New Poster

CAMPBELLs of Stevenston

Post by danensis »

Peter Mayor CAMPBELL was born on the 28th May, 1838, "in a house on the south side of the High-street of Stevenston," a village in Ayrshire, and was the younger son of Robert Cunningham CAMPBELL and his wife Mary, the eldest sister of Peter MAYOR of Coatbridge. On the father's side there was a tradition that the family was descended from John CAMPBELL, "the soldier," second son of Glencairn, of Loudon, who took the name "CAMPBELL" after his maternal grandfather, John of Argyle, through his mother Margaret, in the early part of the sixteenth century, and inherited her estates in Ayrshire, as they were the only Campbells in the neighbourhood, and that there had been a soldier in the family for generations, notably in the Black Watch and Scots Greys. His father's uncle, John went through the Peninsular War in the latter regiment and was also at the Battle of Waterloo, and during the long peace broke in horses, but was killed at the very door on the morning that Peter Mayor CAMPBELLwas born. His father was a silk weaver, but on that industry declining, joined his brother-in-law, Peter MAYOR, in making tiles to drain the Duke of Portland's estates in Ayrshire. Thence they removed in 1843 to Eccleston, Lancashire, to manage a tilery for Lord Derby.

I know that Peter Mayor CAMPBELL's grandfather was Alexander CAMPBELL and his father was probably an Alexander as well, but I can't get any further back. If anyone else is researching CAMPBELL in Stevenston before 1800 I would love to hear from you.

John
martiboy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

campbells

Post by martiboy »

This is well researched. My mother's mother was a campbell, who worked at Auchenharvie Pit in Stevenston. Quite a long time for people to recall though as I am trying to get info about 2 generations back on my dad's side and struggling! Duke of Portland was a big land/mine owner. Had first railwayu in world built from Kilmarnock to Troon, part of it still stands. :idea:
martinjmurray
danensis
New Poster
New Poster

Post by danensis »

I am quite lucky in that my wife's ancestor Peter Mayor CAMPBELL co-authored a book on Newton In Makerfield, and there are many references in the book to his early life in Ayrshire. The quote I gave above is from the introduction to the book. Eve McLaughlin says some of the historical stuff is twaddle, but certainly I've got back to about 1790.

Peter Mayor CAMPBELLs grandmother came from Arran, and he was a bit of a character, in 1881 he married the sister of a man who was killed in the Tay Bridge disaster. She was a mere 20 and he was 42 by then. My wife's great-grandfather was the result of that marriage.

John
liz campbell

Re: CAMPBELLs of Stevenston

Post by liz campbell »

My Father was Gerard Campbell he was born in 1922 and died in 1983 he was the second youngest of 11 children. His parents were Thomas and Margaret Campbell (nee Smith) My Gran came from Coatbridge originally she worked in ICI before her marriage ! My Great Grandfather came from Lisleigh in Northern Ireland and his Father James had left Stevenston to go to Lisleigh and had returned after his marriage to Margaret O'Toole in the 1800s ! we are now spread worldwide
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Perhaps completely unrelated to the search here, but when I was a youngster I was friends with a John Campbell who lived in the Morrison Avenue area of Stevenston. We were both in the same year at old St. John's Primary at the end of Moorpark rd. West. He might have had a younger sister named Fiona.

I seem to remember John at some point mentioning that the family were going to be emigrating to the States - Conneticut rings a bell but I could be totally wrong here due to the passage of time - I think they did move to the US. some time in the sixties though.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Paul and Colin were schoolmates, there were sisters too (St. Johns, Stevenston, St. Mikes)
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Well they go way back in Stevenston
Margret Campbell
Christening Date
06 Mar 1709
Christening Place
STEVENSTON,AYR,SCOTLAND
Father's Name
William Campbell
Mother's Name
Margret Crauford

Also see https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/books ... s_10310614

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

morag wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 pm Paul and Colin were schoolmates, there were sisters too (St. Johns, Stevenston, St. Mikes)
Hope you don't mind me posting this from the School Photo's morag, if so I'll edit it out.
I see yourself and a Paul Campbell in it, so I'd imagine he could well have been an older brother of my classmate John Campbell.
Also, my sister Joan McDermott is in this photo as well. It's a small world eh?

And here's one with myself first left in the back row. John Cambell is first left in the row just in front of me.
Not 100% sure if the date shown is entirely accurate. Remember all these folk well.

Wish I could edit the spelling of our surname in both these pics. Mind you, there are a few variations of it so I'm not criticising anyone - least of all me old pal Jim Harvey who's standing next to me in the pic. :)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Lots of familiar names there.
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Gee thanks for the fullsome reply morag. :)
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Last edited by michaelm on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

The Stevenston family, Campbells, I knew,. dad had a shop at the cross.
C.S.Lewis