McLean /McCallum

For those researching family in the three towns area.
fimclean
New Poster
New Poster

McLean /McCallum

Post by fimclean »

During Lockdown I had plenty time to get researching, My grandmother was Margaret McLean nee McCallum, daughter of Hugh McCallum and Mary Kelly married 16/2/1881. Margaret married James McLean West Kilbride who's father was James Mclean born 26.2.1863 and I can find no other details of him? He was a ships Carpenter, possibly born little Cumbrae? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: McLean /McCallum

Post by Meg »

A warm welcome to the 3ts fimclean- I’m sure some of our expert genealogists out there will be able to help.

Meg
fimclean
New Poster
New Poster

Post by fimclean »

Many thanks Meg. Look forward to any updates :-) Kind regards Fi
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi cousin,
On rising this morning here in Oz it was a nice surprise to find your post. :D My great grandparents were also Hugh McCallum and Mary Kelly married in Stevenston. My grandfather, James Kelly McCallum was the brother of your grandmother as you can see below in the 1891 census in Raises Street, Saltcoats. Hope we can help you with the McLean query. Here's a wee bit about me: http://www.threetowners.com/recollectio ... -mccallum/

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I thought there was a Kelly/McCallum connection Hughie - good news.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Fi,
I sent you a private message with some information. :D
Irene
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
fimclean
New Poster
New Poster

Post by fimclean »

Hi Hughie,
I thought I had sent you reply to your much appreciated message. Small world :-)
I had read some of your posts a while back and thought perhaps you were a distant relative,
and there ya go ! Cousins twice removed from yesterday.
Was amazed how quickly Irene was able to source the information I had been looking for as I was off in
the wrong tangent.
Will read more of your link tomorrow, but early bed as off Metal detecting early tomorrow.
Thank you again
Kind regards
Fi
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Nice again to hear from you, Fi. Yes, I thought Irene would have some information for you. :)
Hope you had success with your metal detecting. I got involved with metal detecting back in the 1980s on our Victorian goldfields around the Ballarat area. Good companionship and serenity, you can't beat it. But the lure of golf sucked me back in after a while. Some nice memories for my boys and I here's what we found
fimclean
New Poster
New Poster

Post by fimclean »

Hi Hughie,
Very impressive nuggets !, Best me and my neighbour have found is a small hoard of roman coins from 2000 years ago, up near Bishopton. They are now in the new Paisley Museum. Only been at it for 4 years, go on club dig all round Scotland, but have own permissions about West Kilbride. Great hobby keeps mind and body active.
Well its a snell wind here, been queuing at Post office to get the overseas cards off...Big bro in Oz too :-)
Keep well.
Fi
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Fi, ;)
That's a wonderful find. No chance of finding such coins here. All we have the chance of finding coin-wise is local tokens which were used on the goldfields or maybe a sovereign or two.

BTW the website with my family details was made way back in 2001 (verified that on the waybackmachine to be sure) compiled mainly from research done prior to the internet. My McCallum direct line is correct, but I have a few doubts about a couple of other lines. Haven't been into it for some years.

Stay safe!