Scott family from Stevenston

For those researching family in the three towns area.
Laura Hughes

Scott family from Stevenston

Post by Laura Hughes »

Hi

I'm researching my Scott ancestors from Stevenston and wonder if anyone can help with information?

I believe my great grandmother was Annie Scott, born around 1892, probably in Stevenston. Her father (as noted on her marriage record) was James Scott, a marine engineer, who I've been told worked on the 'Glen Sannox' paddle steamer which ran to Arran. Annie married Daniel Stewart Livingston, a plumber from Glasgow, and their marriage record states that her mother was called Mary Murray. I've been told that Mary owned a few properties in Stevenston and built a few cottages named 'Glen Sannox' after the boat her husband loved. I'm having real trouble tracking down marriage details for James and Mary though, and even a birth record for Annie.

I've also been told that James Scott, the footballer from Stevenston who went on to play for Liverpool and then the New York Giants in the 1920s, is also a distant uncle.

I've had the results of Ancestry DNA testing back and several second and third cousin links have been thrown up with other Scott families from Stevenson. These links all focus around the family of Robert Scott born 1857 in Saltcoats who married Elisabeth Donnachie in 1879 in Stevenston. Robert was 68 in 1925, a marine fireman living abroad, and he owned four cottages in Stevenson named 'Glen Sannox' at 1,2,3 and 4 Dynamite Road in Stevenston. Robert had many children, including an Annie at the same time my Annie Scott would have been born, and a David Donnachie Scott who married a Sarah Black Hamilton. Many of the children later left for the US. Robert, I think, died in New York. Valuation Rolls show that the Glen Sannox cottages were later owned by his eldest son Robert.

I know from DNA testing that I'm somehow related to this Scott/Donnachie family and the 'Glen Sannox' connection probably links them with the James Scott who I believe is my 2x great grandfather, but I cannot work out how my Annie Scott and her father James fit in to this wider Scott family tree?

Can anyone help with any information? I have a tree on ancestry I'd be happy for people to explore.

I'm not too far away in Chapelhall, near Airdrie, and will visit Stevenston soon to walk the streets my ancestors walked and visit the graveyards etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Laura
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Scott family from Stevenston

Post by sweet caroline »

If you are on Ancestry then you may have seen my tree.
My Ain Folk.ged 11Feb.2017

Ask for an invite mentioning this site
Elizabeth Donnachie
1858–1906
Birth 1858 • STEVENSTON Ayrshire Scotland
Death 12 JULY 1906 • STEVENSTON Ayrshire Scotland

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller

Post by Guest »

Thank you - will do!

Post by Guest »

Hi again

Further DNA matches and a visit to ScotlandsPeople in Edinburgh to view records that were restricted online has confirmed that my great grandmother Annie's Scott biological parents were indeed Robert Scott and Elizabeth Donnachie. I've been able to trace the Scott line back to the 1700s and the Donnachies to Ireland, which is fantastic.

I still have no idea who James Scott and Mary Murray were (the parents noted on Annie's marriage and death record). An Uncle and Aunt, perhaps? Do these names ring a bell for anyone? James was supposedly the marine engineer on the Glen Sannox paddle steamer and Mary Murray owned some property in Stevenston, but I can find no information at all - no marriage record for them or death records that I can find. Beginning to wonder if they ever existied at all!

Many thanks in advance for any information anyone can provide.

PS Sweet Caroline I cannot find your tree on Ancestry but my username is Laura_Anne_Hughes and I'd be really grateful for an invite to your tree. I can open mine up to you as well.

Best wishes

Laura
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

This, on the face of it, is likely to be a piece of completely useless information but in a past profession four word search ‘hits’ (‘John’ – ‘Mary’ – ‘Murray’ and a house called ‘Sannox’) in one sentence would have merited a wee look just in case there was a hereditary family link somewhere as opposed to a coincidence!

The 25 August 1966 edition of the Glasgow Herald carried the following intimation of death:-

MURRAY: Suddenly (while on holiday) on 22nd August, 1966, JOHN STIRLING MURRAY, aged 66, beloved husband of Mary Hotchkiss, and dear father of Violet and Mitchell, Sannox, 23 North Crescent, Ardrossan.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.