World War 1 casualties - missing details

For those researching family in the three towns area.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: World War 1 casualties - missing details

Post by sweet caroline »

1/8th Battalion landed in Gallipoli as part of the 156th Brigade in the 52nd (Lowland) Division in June 1915; after evacuation from Gallipoli in January 1916 the battalions moved to Egypt and then landed at Marseille in April 1918 for service on the Western Front.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameronia ... _Rifles%29

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Alright I give up what do you mean that's Conlig if it's Bangor cemetery Newtownards road it's in Bangor I have family in it Conlig doesn't have a cemetery
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

MANBEAR wrote:Alright I give up what do you mean that's Conlig if it's Bangor cemetery Newtownards road it's in Bangor I have family in it Conlig doesn't have a cemetery
I looked up the death record. Newtownards ,Bangor. Died at Conlig. It's a village on the Newtownards to Bangor road .I never said were he was buried .

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

5siamese7,

Can you confirm that the soldier referred to in the following link is not the WILLIAM CONWAY from Stevenston to which you refer.

If not, I wondering if the name should actually appear twice on the Stevenston War Memorial.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... %20WILLIAM
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Penny Tray wrote:5siamese7,

Can you confirm that the soldier referred to in the following link is not the WILLIAM CONWAY from Stevenston to which you refer.

If not, I wondering if the name should actually appear twice on the Stevenston War Memorial.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casua ... %20WILLIAM
Poster said he died 1915.
Yours P.T.1918, looks more likely. Robert Conway ,Bangor, husband of Margaret Jane Moore.

http://imgur.com/a/OFAf5
19 APRIL 1872 • Bangor (Conlig), County Down married Margaret Jane Moore. Robert was the son of William John Conway and Agnes Jane McCracken .So we had grandparents.PT I bow to your wisdom . :D

SC
MarkDingwall
New Poster
New Poster

Post by MarkDingwall »

Got wee bit of info from a Free Church minister - "I have an old book written after 1900 by a Free Churchman who may have been a relative of his – John B Orr who gives his address as Blair Athol Villa, Saltcoats. The book is about the Free Church division in 1900."

My reply - Your reference to the book written by John B Orr is intriguing. Captain Orr had a brother John B Orr who was a medical doctor. His father was RC Orr and there was a minister named Rev Samuel Lyle Orr who was minister of Saltcoats and Ardrossan Free Church - but I don’t have the dates of his charge - nor do I have the relevant birth certificates. A little more research required!
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The 27 April 1923 edition of the Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald records the death of SAMUEL ORR at the Free Church Manse, Saltcoats, the son of the Rev. S. Lyle Orr.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

PT The death of William Conway s/6003 black watch teritorial is in Irish records as born Belfast
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Thanks guys I tried years ago to find out what happened to William. His name is inscribed on the Stevenston war memorial killed in 1915. His father's headstone in Bangor has his name on it. Having a member of your family killed in war is horrific and even after such a long time its hard to get your head round it.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

UK, Commonwealth War Graves, 1914-1921 and 1939-1947
Name:
George Stevenson
Death Date:19 Aug 1917
Cemetery:The Thiepval Memorial
Burial Country : France
Regiment:Highland Light Infantry
Regimental Number:31897
Region or Memorial: France
No place of birth mentioned.
I had to go to a fee paying site to confirm I had the right George Stevenson. Although I have sent all certs from my marriage down to George Stevenson's marriage, it's not changed it's records .They don't like changing a record.
I am wondering if this is what has happened with William Conway, or is his records lost .

It's now on Ancestry under
UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
Name:
George Stevenson
Birth Place:
Newtonards, Co. Down
Death Date:19 Aug 1917
Death Place:France and Flanders
Enlistment Place: Kilwinning, Ayrshire
Regiment:Highland Light Infantry
Battalion:18th Battalion (4th Glasgow)
Regimental Number:31897
Type of Casualty:Killed in action
Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

SC
MANBEAR
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by MANBEAR »

Further to William Conway records I have found he was born Belfast and enlisted in Ardrossan a headstone in Bangor cemetery says he died on 21/3/1918 which is 4 days earlier than Irish records.
He is also listed in the war dead of North down