War War I casualties

For those researching family in the three towns area.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: War War I casualties

Post by hahaya2004 »

Thank you, George. I had a look at my notes but I don't have an address for Frank after his marriage. The children were born in Irvine (district) and I assume he still lived in Bartonholm, but I'm not certain.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

My Grampa wasn't a casualty of WW1. However, I'm trying to find out which regiment he was in. I am going to try to attach a photo of him in his uniform in hopes that someone can identify his regiment. Any information would be much appreciated. I have photos of both of my grampas in uniform. My maternal grandfather was killed in 1914. He hailed from Cambuslang and was in the Black Watch. I'd like to be able to identify my Park grandfather so that I can add this information to my Family Tree. I never heard any of my aunts, uncles talk about their father's time in the army, so have no information at all. Thanks, in advance, for any help offered.
Attachments
RPark2.jpg
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good Photo but sadly not clear enough to identify his badge or buttons.
However, there were several styles of "snakebelt/buckles" in the Military and they were quite widely used,
even amongst Canadian Military.
I know of 2 Scottish Regiments that wore them,(there may have been more), during WW1 and they were
the Seaforth Highlanders (different style from one on your ancestor) and The Royal Scots, (exact same style
that your ancestor wears). The Royal Scots also have a very strong historical link to Ayrshire.
I am no expert but maybe this can help point you in the right direction or one of these links:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/recoveringscot/2506392202" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.museum.gov.ns-ca/imagesns/html/20784-html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.grantsmilitaria.com/militari ... /militaria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.fidnet.com/~weid/ww1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.militarybadges.org.uk/mimage ... 1index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

imajrk,
Did he have a army pension,and do you have a first name?

sweet caroline
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

I don't know if he had a war pension, in fact I don't even know if he was in WW1. All I have is this picture. There was a large portrait of him in his uniform in my aunt's house, but I never heard any discussion about it. His name was Robert Park, born circa 1876, married to Jeanie Lambie lived in Stevenston. I have tried Ancestry.com searching in the military section but I had no success. Any help would be appreciated.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

There is a Private ROBERT PARK (Official No. 10193) of the 2nd batallion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders buried at La Ferte-Sous-Jourre Memorial Cemetery in France. He would appear to have died on 27/8/14. No family details are provided on the site I was looking at.

Family details of others casualties with the same name don't tie in with the few details you've been able to provide.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

Thanks for replying Penny Tray. My grandfather wasn't a casualt of the war. He lived to be an old man. I have spoken to some cousins today and one of them thinks he might have been in the Crimean War, not WW1. So here I go again with more research. Thankyou to everyone who has posted.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Robert Park
Birth 28.7.1874 in STEVENSTON Ayrshire Scotland
Death Living
Death 1956

Jean Lambie
Birth ABT 1874 in STEVENSTON Ayrshire Scotland
Death Living
Death 21.1.1945 in Stevenston?

On my tree
sweet caroline

Edit-Park Robert 23 03 1956 70, Glencairn Street, Stevenston. D In his 82nd.yr.& husband of the late Jeanie Lambie
Lambie Jeanie 26/01/1945 Boglemart St, Stevenston D 68 yrs, wife Robert Park http://www.ayrshire-roots.co.uk/vSignup/login.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Believe we meet up with Adam Scott 1742 Stanlie ,and Jane Glen c1748 Ayr
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

We are related, but the Scott-Park thing is still a mystery to me.
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

Can't be the Crimean War as it's not the right time-frame. Could it be the Boer War?? I cannot find any record of him ever being in the army. It's so frustrating. He was born around 1875, and no conscription back then. So he'd only be in uniform if he was an enlisted man. Wish I'd asked questions when I was young!!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

imajrk wrote:So he'd only be in uniform if he was an enlisted man. Wish I'd asked questions when I was young!!
Hi Jean,
Just a thought. Could he have been in the Territorial Army?
The Territorial Army was created in 1908 by the Secretary of State for War, Richard Haldane, when the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907 combined the previously civilian-administered Volunteer Force, with the Militia and Yeomanry. Most Volunteer infantry units had unique identities, but lost these in the reorganisation, becoming Territorial battalions of Regular Army infantry regiments. Some, notably the London Regiment, Glasgow Highlanders and Liverpool Scottish maintained a separate identity.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Jean:
Your correct, your ancestor was not old enough for the Crimean war (c1855).
He was not old enough either for the first Boer war (1880).
He would have been old enough for the second Boer war (c1900).
I also did a search on ancestry, just to double check, but got nothing.
Found plenty Robert Park' but none from Stevenston.
The nearest I got was a Robert Park from Duntocher, (West Dunbartonshire).