The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by 5siamese7 »

On the nature notes we were discussing flies and Bonzo spoke about his hatred of bluebottles. Which are locally called blue arsed flies because they have blue bottoms. Human beings are wonderful at describing things that are not too wholesome. My Dad who came from Sussex was stationed up here and went home on leave when the V1 s were falling all over southern England and the locals called them flaming arseholes.
for obvious reasons. The first cruise missiles.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Love a frosty morning like this, sadly I think there's rain forecast for later.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I'm thinking that a lot of creatures suffer from loneliness. There's a wee pied balled duck that lived at Ardeer Quarry and would spend his time with the swans and cygnets. I guess thinking they were kindred spirits. He now is over at the White Wife and comes for bread when he sees me and I must admit he is my favourite and I give him preference. I watched him swim over to the island on his own and he is on his own and it must be hard for him. I can remember on the STV a guy would read the news and finish up with saying and a special goodnight to those who live alone. Billy Connelly expressed a lot of peoples' feelings about this. Last week I went to a coffee morning where some people were discussing whether they should go into a home. I told them that's the last thing you want to do. If you can look after your self do so because you are in control of your life. Loneliness is a major factor in illness and something to fear.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Feeling very proud.
Second grandchild to be accepted into the Kwong Lee Dow Scholarship program at Melbourne University.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Congratulations, Netta and Bobby. Well done to Aiden :)
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:04 pm I'm thinking that a lot of creatures suffer from loneliness. There's a wee pied balled duck that lived at Ardeer Quarry and would spend his time with the swans and cygnets. I guess thinking they were kindred spirits. He now is over at the White Wife and comes for bread when he sees me and I must admit he is my favourite and I give him preference. I watched him swim over to the island on his own and he is on his own and it must be hard for him. I can remember on the STV a guy would read the news and finish up with saying and a special goodnight to those who live alone. Billy Connelly expressed a lot of peoples' feelings about this. Last week I went to a coffee morning where some people were discussing whether they should go into a home. I told them that's the last thing you want to do. If you can look after your self do so because you are in control of your life. Loneliness is a major factor in illness and something to fear.
Love this post. One of my pigeons never fitted in with the rest. Outcast for some reason. Never came back one day.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vivc113 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 am
5siamese7 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:04 pm I'm thinking that a lot of creatures suffer from loneliness. There's a wee pied balled duck that lived at Ardeer Quarry and would spend his time with the swans and cygnets. I guess thinking they were kindred spirits. He now is over at the White Wife and comes for bread when he sees me and I must admit he is my favourite and I give him preference. I watched him swim over to the island on his own and he is on his own and it must be hard for him. I can remember on the STV a guy would read the news and finish up with saying and a special goodnight to those who live alone. Billy Connelly expressed a lot of peoples' feelings about this. Last week I went to a coffee morning where some people were discussing whether they should go into a home. I told them that's the last thing you want to do. If you can look after your self do so because you are in control of your life. Loneliness is a major factor in illness and something to fear.
Love this post. One of my pigeons never fitted in with the rest. Outcast for some reason. Never came back one day.
Is this the Duck you're speaking of, Bill? If so I remember it well from it's Quarry pond days. Yes, it didn't really mix particularly well with the Mallard's at the Quarry to start with - but I think it did become slightly more accepted by them over a period of time. I too remember seeing it following the swans about on quite a few occasions as well and they did seem to tolerate it's presence without much fuss.

If it is the same bird I'm a wee bit curious as to how it got to the White Wife from the Quarry, as I was always under the impression that it didn't fly well, if at all. I might have been wrong about that though.

As It's a very striking looking wee Duck I took a few snap's of it when it was over at the Quarry Pond.
I'm sure I've also posted one somewhere in Iain's Wildlife topic.

5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Yes Michael that's the wee fellow and its a bit of mystery where he came from. However another ornamental duck appeared on the quarry at the same time and she successfully bred with the mallards. Somebody must have got fed up with them and put them on the Quarry. I can't see someone going to the bother of catching this duck and taking it to the White Wife so I guess it can fly. If so it would just follow the other ducks that regularly move between the two ponds
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

That second photo I believe sums up where the wee guy is mentally. He is following the pen probably because he thinks that is his mother. Ducks like many creatures become attached to something they see as protective.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Thinking about ducks they are special to me because in the bad old days I was a wildfowler. Like Peter Scott I realised that this was unacceptable and gave up shooting. I remember a white duck use to live beneath the bridge at Fullerton place and he always looked as though he had a smile on his face. The kids coming from school would feed him and he would look up expecting a titbit. Sadly he disappeared and I bet it was a fox or a mink that did for him. A real shame.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Fed up with this ongoing bitter snap.

Had to have my goon on in my bed last night, as well as a hot water bottle and blankets.

And had to make soup again at 4 am.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

5siamese7 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:35 pm Yes Michael that's the wee fellow and its a bit of mystery where he came from. However another ornamental duck appeared on the quarry at the same time and she successfully bred with the mallards. Somebody must have got fed up with them and put them on the Quarry. I can't see someone going to the bother of catching this duck and taking it to the White Wife so I guess it can fly. If so it would just follow the other ducks that regularly move between the two ponds
Hi Bill, I'll post a reply to the above in the Wildlife in Stevenston topic as I have another couple of pics to post and don't want to flood this topic with photo's that would be better put elsewhere.