The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The ... What are you doing or thinking right now - Topic

Post by 5siamese7 »

Had a day in Auld Reekie to see the Bonnie Prince Charlie exhibition. It was dear but I enjoyed it. Also took a donner into the National Portrait Gallery. Only two Titians left but at least we still have them. A cold day and loads of tourists and do you know Edinburgh seemed smaller than when I was last there. I think its an age thing.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

We have been going to Edinburgh 2 or 3 times a year for the past 30 years and we say the exact same thing, how small it's became over the years. Still love it though.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Love Glasgow too but your right its a wonderful city. The Athens of the north. You know folk were dead nice not just because I'm an old guy but our west of Scotland accent is much appreciated probably because of all the foreign tourists that visit and boy the more the merrier.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I forgot to mention that the Three Graces were not on display in the National Portrait Gallery. They are so wonderful and I can imagine the pleasure they have given over the years. One special painting that is still there and always makes me smile is of a minister skating on the ice. Must pay another visit there soon.
huey1
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by huey1 »

Hi
Spent the morning shovelling snow of my deck, 5to 8 cm first snow of the winter season
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Had a 2nd great day in the countryside. What lovely blue skies and warmth for the time of year at one point. Sorry I forgot my sunglasses, but it was so unexpected. 😎
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Walked to Ardrossan harbour and on the way back I called into Sainsbury's where I bought some mince pies . I must say they are very good. The Saltcoats branch is laying off a lot of its staff soon which is horrible as Christmas is near. Losing your job at any time is a scunner but I think worse just before Christmas.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Thinking the same as you Viv, it was so unexpected to be walking in warm sunshine and it was lovely.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

I have seen these pies. And they are quite cheap for a box of 6. The butter ones are the best.

Sad about staff and they are reducing the aisles too. I love that shop but it is often so quiet.

ASDA cheaper. Part o the problem ??
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Vivc113 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:41 am I have seen these pies. And they are quite cheap for a box of 6. The butter ones are the best.

Sad about staff and they are reducing the aisles too. I love that shop but it is often so quiet.

ASDA cheaper. Part o the problem ??
They have some good deals just now on bacon and cheese. I bought a litre of Grouse for £15. Personally I prefer a quiet shop. It use to be terrible with bairns screaming the place down. Anyway at least it isn't closing down.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Related to the 'Stevenston - on this Day' topic.
John Donnelly wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:10 am
Right, you're at the corner of the New Street walking towards the Townhead.
You pass Jameson's the butchers on the corner; Tom Campbel's the grocers; Kathy Kelly's cafe; Halbert's garage; the Douglas Bar; the White Hart pub; R.S. McCall's; Napier's ; Duncan's the Drapers; Willie Allison's decorators shop; Donnelly's Stores, (The New Century Bar); Park's the bakers; then there was the wide pavement and the Post Office, the only thing that is still there :cry: .
JD.
Cheers for the trip down memory lane JD.
I remember quite a few of the businesses you've mentioned there. :)

Hughie wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:29 am
Wonder if Ricky Park was from that same family - Ricky and girlfriend were regulars on the dance floor at the Rec at that time and they stood out in my mind as being very close.
I think the Ricky Park you knew from the Rec back then may well have been from the same family Hughie.
Richard (Dick) Park and his wife ran a very popular Bakers business in New Street, Stevenston, in the late 60's early 70's I believe.
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Brian did your namesake storm get you where you are?
Those wimin were in the nip.