Mac's Bar - Our Virtual Cafe

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Mac's Bar - Our Virtual Cafe

Post by bonzo »

I'm in Meg, we're on holiday til Monday, probably in lockdown after that due to lack of materials. Having a wee beer in bar living room. We can aw be feart the gither. Don't know aboot the white spirits no as if I'm painting (yet) hahaha. Stay safe.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 pm I'm in Meg, we're on holiday til Monday, probably in lockdown after that due to lack of materials. Having a wee beer in bar living room. We can aw be feart the gither. Don't know aboot the white spirits no as if I'm painting (yet) hahaha. Stay safe.
Bonzo - still miffed we missed our get together in Ayr - so when the pubs reopen....

We’ve got gallons of beer - our white spirits are vodka and gin - with loads of mixers. Lockdown is sooooo scary - we went for our ‘once a day exercise’ round Rozelle Park and it was so eerie - empty. Tomorrow we are off to Troon to give blood - they are desperate for group O - so Tunnocks Caramel Wafers here we come.

Hope you and Mars Bonzo are keeping safe.

Megx
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Ocht don't worry about it, truth be told we never made it oot of Irvine that night, met some folk and got no further than the harbour lights :D
I know this is the way stuff is going to be for the foreseeable but the things we've missed and are about to miss because of Corona. Yooz will probably say I've been lucky :lol:
Last Thursday, Stiff Little Fingers in Troon.
Last Saturday, The Alarm in Glasgow.
25/3, Kelly Godliman in Glasgow.
26/3, Scotland v Israel
4/4 AUOB Arbroath.
It shows how things have fell apart very quickly but enough of the downer we'll be back.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Right, I'm scunnert tae death of this isolation thing.
Me and Ria have stayed in the house now since a week past on Friday, (13th).
We have been out a couple of times to the shops for fresh veg, milk and such like. Now, we can't do that together any more.
I've been doing a lot of stuff around the house that's been waiting for months. Nothing too heavy, but I've finally hung up the rack for the cooking utensils in the kitchen. That's only taken me 7 months, since we moved here in August. Now, I'm hanging up the pictures and photos of the grandweans. As this is an apartment building, constructed of reinforced concrete, that's not just a matter of banging a couple of nails into the wall. I've ruined two drill-bits and the pair wee cat is going spare with the racket the drill is making.
The really bad news is that I've run out of The Glenlivet, and I'm only allowed out for essential shopping. I cannae convince the wife that The Glenlivet is essential. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I see a bottle on the gantry there. Make it a really big wan.

JD.
Last edited by John Donnelly on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

JD, it's on me slanj.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Apart from Wine or beer with my food, my alcohol intake has been scarse for the last decade but for the first time in over 10 years last night I attacked a bottle of Drambuie. Oh it did go down well. A wee bit of Scottish Pleasure to brighten up these dark days.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

bonzo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:21 pm JD, it's on me slanj.
Cheers, mate. I'm being sent out today for some shopping, so, there will be Glenlivet tonight. :P
JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

glenshena wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:31 am I attacked a bottle of Drambuie. Oh it did go down well. A wee bit of Scottish Pleasure to brighten up these dark days.
Reminded me we had still some left from Christmas, Jean. So a nightcap for me and Betty. Cheers! :puter
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

John Donnelly wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 am
bonzo wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:21 pm JD, it's on me slanj.
Cheers, mate. I'm being sent out today for some shopping, so, there will be Glenlivet tonight. :P
JD.
Cheers John - we went to marks and Spencer’s this morning and they allowed the first 20 people in, then it was one out, one in - no panic, well controlled and well stocked shelves. Beginning to feel there might be less panic buying going on. Bin men have been saying that they reckon there’s a 35% rise in the tonnage of fresh food being thrown out - some still in original wrappers. Anyway, we got some wine delivered today, and managed to get some gin from Sainsbury’s - don’t care if we don’t go out. :wink:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I'm sorry. I just don't get it. Why on earth would anybody stock up on fresh, perishable food?
We have always had a wee stock set aside. We started this a good number of years ago after we both came down with the flu at the same time. When the bad news about corona started, we built that up to cover a longer period. We just bought some extra stuff with the regular weekly shopping over a period of some weeks. There was no question of trollys loaded to the gunnels. It was only rice, pasta and tins and the freezer is well stocked with meat and fish.
Throwing away food is anathema Chez Donnelly, - at any time. It's probably a throwback to the war. We are both war babies, (1943), and Ria remembers the hunger-winter in Holland, when they were forced to eat flower bulbs. Ria's parents also had a reserve at the back of the pantry. It was mostly, coffee, tea. soap and tobacco; stuff they would be able to exchange for food if it was ever needed. It shows just how things have changed so drastically in what is a relatively short time. It is only three generations.
Our parents (especially Ria's) really felt it. Us Brits didn't have it easy either, but nothing like the Dutch. Our generation noticed it, but to the present generation with young children (our kids) it's just hearsay. To our grandweans, it's distant history.

Sorry, it wisnae meant to be a rant :oops: JD.

Hey, I'm sittin' here empty. That Glenlivet must have evaporated while I wiz rantin'.
I'm on the bell. How's the slate there Meg? Set me up another Glenlivet and gie the rest of them what they want.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Jist dropped in for a quick one.
Got my Glenlivet yesterday and just to be sure, I got a MacCallans as well.
Made a wee dent in the MacCallans last night so it will be an early night tonight.
Just sitting here thinking about where I first was introduced to a good single malt. It was in Bobby McKinnie's Inverclyde Hotel in Seamill. It was a wee bit up the hill on the left, on the corner of the road that goes down to the golf club.
Happy days.

JD.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Got me thinking JD, I would recon my first malt was given to me by an auld pal who is no longer with us, it would have been Glenmorangie which has always been my favourite. Cheers Peter.