BBC Licence Fee

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

BBC Licence Fee

Post by Retsum »

I have just received the letter from the BBC informing me the licence fee is £157.50. The weird thing is that blind people get a 50% discount: would that be to pay for the sound? :lol: There is no mention of the deaf. Surely they should also get a 50% discount - they can only view the images!
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: BBC Licence Fee

Post by brian f »

You can watch Netflix, prime, Channel 4, and the likes of Sky totally avoiding the BBC channels... but still have to pay the licence fee. Surely outdated.
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Does any other countries have Licence Fees in Europe nothing like that here in Oz ???
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

You can legally avoid paying the BBC tax
First up you can't watch live TV that more or less Live TV from any source
You can download a program from say Netflix and you can legally watch it
BBC and BBC iPlayer is a No No

That is a Very Very Simplified guide

If to go to the TV licence web page ,there should be a part that says "do I need a TV licence" that should be a guidance to enable you to legally watch TV.
If you google "do I need a TV licence" that should give you guidance from other sites consumer forums etc

A pal of mine binned his TV and for about 6 year got an incredible amount of crap , from the license people

I had no aerial and wasn't allowed one ( the area,which is NOT that unusual)
I Didn't have a license as I only watched DVDs, the No TV thing never bothered me at all,
On the even more positive side, I bought DVD watched them, and resold them, I bought low and sold at the Higher End at that time I made profit on about 90% of the DVDs ( most I got for a DVD was £57.50 for a single disc)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

stivis wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:48 am You can legally avoid paying the BBC tax
First up you can't watch live TV that more or less Live TV from any source
You can download a program from say Netflix and you can legally watch it
BBC and BBC iPlayer is a No No

That is a Very Very Simplified guide

If to go to the TV licence web page ,there should be a part that says "do I need a TV licence" that should be a guidance to enable you to legally watch TV.
If you google "do I need a TV licence" that should give you guidance from other sites consumer forums etc

A pal of mine binned his TV and for about 6 year got an incredible amount of crap , from the license people

I had no aerial and wasn't allowed one ( the area,which is NOT that unusual)
I Didn't have a license as I only watched DVDs, the No TV thing never bothered me at all,
On the even more positive side, I bought DVD watched them, and resold them, I bought low and sold at the Higher End at that time I made profit on about 90% of the DVDs ( most I got for a DVD was £57.50 for a single disc)
I was delighted at the response from the BBC when they had to do a U turn on broadcasting our FM’s corona virus daily update - 240,000 complaints and the same number threatening to cancel their license - 40,000,000 million pounds of revenue in the bin. It took them 48 hours to change their minds. Nicola Sturgeon is back every weekday, giving straight forward, no lies, no bluster information that we need to know.

People power!!!!
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I think the figure that Scotland paid into the BBC via the license was £360 million per annum, and the figure BBC spent in Scotland was struggling at around £80 million
Quick Call Whatever Her Face Is,
and then there is Susan Calman an alleged comedian ,as funny as a bicycle chain slipping . Father was a big wig in Glasgow Uni, Knighted...
I should have a list of the Inbreeding links within the BBC,
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Yes Switzerland and Italy. Switzerland only since last year in a lump sum. Italy adds it on monthly to your electricity bill for 10months.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

When satellite dishes came out , years ago..probably mid 80s...the old style that you had to tune in like a radio , you turned the dial..
anyway I knew a fellow who stayed in remote Dumfrieshire and he bought a full monty system, now he didn't have a license as the area was not able to receive a signal from the Blackhill type transmitters( some of Lanarkshire and the border were the same)
Up here you got terrestrial had a license, you had a dish . so you were sorted
BUT he didn't so he bought a Satellite License....£10 Lifetime

Time progressed as did technology and terrestrial , He got the chap at the door quite often , He showed the Satellite License and off they went
That was till about 2003 when I last spoke to him
I have no doubt it is still the current situation
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I don't grudge paying my licence fee if I can enjoy a one hour long programme of watching the life story of Roy Orbison singing his greatest hits. Last night was sheer bliss and so unexpected. Every Sunday I watch the 3 hour long Phil Mack programme of hits from the 50's and 60's on channel 516 from 8 to 11. The first hour gives you one hour of a famous celebrity who you don't know who will be. Last night it was the big O. The second hour is requested top hits from the 50's and 60's, Beatles, Elvis and the Stones included, every one a cracker, and the last hour is songs from the early fifty's. I know most of them and it makes me think of my mother and father, how they must have enjoyed that music.
I must look for a CD of Roy Orbison, I'm so old I only have the music cassette which I can't play in the car unfortunately. I really enjoyed the programme last night, he really wrote some beautiful love songs and had such a wonderful voice. To think he had already decided at 7 years old that he was going to dedicate himself to music. Pity he had so much tragedy in his life and only lived until he was 52.
Would be interested to know if anyone else watches this programme. So many memories.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

I've been here for over 45 years, and in all that time, Saturday evenings, 17.30 was sacred time where the weans, (when they were wee), knew to keep out of the way and be quiet as Final Score was on.
Last Saturday, I tuned in to find that only the English results were being reported.
Don't tell me that the BBC are now not showing Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish results any more on the national channel.

JD. :evil:
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I'm so old I only have the music cassette which I can't play in the car unfortunately.
You can still get a car cassette deck
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

Thanks for that Stivis , thank goodness I just switch on the tv, which I must admit can be a lot of reruns but we can still get all the British
serials etc etc, I also have netflix for round $10 a month but no licence here ...