A welcome visitor

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

A welcome visitor

Post by Meg »

Don’t know who was more nervous this morning - the pheasant in the back garden or the cat :lol:

brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A welcome visitor

Post by brian f »

I missed that photo Meg. This pheasant and lawn are not as nice as yours. Get the peanuts out :lol:

Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Fantastic Brian - our green lawn is mainly moss btw //funny
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I will swap you any day :lol: And -Brilliant photo !

I nearly forgot-Have you and George got "previous" with birds? One who came knocking on your back door. :D
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:38 pm I will swap you any day :lol: And -Brilliant photo !

I nearly forgot-Have you and George got "previous" with birds? One who came knocking on your back door. :D
I think you are talking about our seagull - he came back last year around breeding time - haven’t seen him so far this year.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11629&p=114192&hili ... ll#p114192
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Yes, that's him Sammy the Seagull ? That was 7 years ago- Time seems to fly by. Enjoy the papers, Meg . Sadly i have to go and do a big shop now with the hordes. Enjoy the Sunshine. 8)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:18 am Yes, that's him Sammy the Seagull ? That was 7 years ago- Time seems to fly by. Enjoy the papers, Meg . Sadly i have to go and do a big shop now with the hordes. Enjoy the Sunshine. 8)
Brian - we’ve found the queues are non existent around 6pm on a Saturday/Sunday evening. Stay safe.

Meg
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg- It was not too bad today the queue-i would avoid Saturdays like the plague. Picked up some lovely Jerseys and Asparagus will enjoy with a bird later- Chicken not a Pheasant :lol:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

We had barbecued lamb, Greek giant beans and Greek salad - goes with the sunshine - oh and some lovely red wine😋😋😋
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Meg wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:54 pm We had barbecued lamb, Greek giant beans and Greek salad - goes with the sunshine - oh and some lovely red wine😋😋😋
Meg- That beautiful food you had tonight i was looking forward to shortly most evenings as booked up to go to the Turkish coast 2 weeks for now. It's not officially cancelled as only flights to the end of April are but i know it will and life is more important.

Pheasants- Now you know how the English call the Scots tight, Well when i worked nights with Royal Mail in Cambridge another postman (English) who had a pile right out in the sticks bought by his rich parents used to pick up roadkill on his journey home at 6 o'clock in the morning that was his main source of food. According to him, Pheasants tasted better when the Maggots had got to them. And that's the gods honest! He was the tightest man i ever knew :lol:
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

This morning I was woken up to screams of delight 'CHARLIES BACK! CHARLIES BACK!' sure enough our 'pet' pheasant Charlie, had reappeared in his usual place,the field behind our house, accompanied by his wife and 5 little ones. He had been missing for three weeks and we had feared the worse. The grandchildren were so pleased to have him back. A lovely start to the day and the month. :clap:
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

We haven't had such luck. A couple of moorhens built a nest in the little canal under our balcony.
She produced 6 eggs, of which 3 hatched. There was a weakling which disappeared in 5/6 days. And then there were 2. 4/5 days later there was one. and within the week there was none. We think the rats got them as there are a lot in the canal.
For the last week, she has been sitting on the nest again and he is swimming back and forward to feed her.
Looks like we'll have another brood shortly. I hope they'll fare better this time.

JD.