Coronavirus pandemic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by glenshena »

Yes Meg. The Mr. is out of danger now, and has become a local hero. When the doctor was putting on his oxygen mask, he took his hand and said ' Doctor, I've done everything that I wanted in my life, I'm 90 years old, just let me go.' But his smile and dignity touched the heart of the doctor who replied, ' You are the same age as my father, just one week older, and you will both soon be 91'. Day after day he and the nursing staff continued to fight. 'They were difficult days' says the doctor, 'we all fought together and after 15 days in intensive care he was back in a normal ward and is now receiving phisiotherapy.' 'You thanked us many many times, but it is we who have to thank you. You gave us hope and the will to continue every day to fight this horrible virus. We saved you and you saved us. When I caressed your head to give you courage I saw my father and grandfather smile' The story reached our local newspaper and TV channel.
Thankfully this time a happy ending. The Mrs. is still not so good, seemingly has some neurological problems, but she is still fighting at home. They were both very healthy adults, walking lots and eating healthily, no underlying health problems, so they are able to combat the virus despite their age.
In Milan yesterday two pensioners who had been married for 63 years both died with covid on the same day. He in the morning and she in the afternoon.
There are so many sad stories everywhere. Today however there is a slight optimism in the air, fewer cases after two weeks of ever rising figures.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Thanks for keeping us updated Jean - the old man is certainly inspiring.

Megx
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Today is being touted as Elimination Day here in Victoria, Australia. This means there has been no new corona virus infections or deaths attributed to it here in our state for the last twenty-eight days. But we are aware it's still out there as traces have been found in the sewage. Not withstanding that, this will stand us in good stead until the vaccine is available.

We had a few very bad missteps along the way, but I'm so pleased we didn't take advice from those with the loudest voices, but followed the advice of the health and scientific experts. 700+ infections a day to zero is unbelievable. A big thank you to all those who worked tirelessly to achieve this stunning result.
It can be done!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

That is such great news Hughie - it’s amazing what a competent government can do. Do you know which vaccine the Australian government is going with? Here in south Ayrshire, we are again under strict lock down - this image is from a daily app I complete with details of how we are feeling/if we’ve had a test etc. The graph doesn’t make for easy reading...

Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Meg,

Our federal government as you can see has locked in four vaccines:
Experts say the Government's move to lock in four different COVID-19 vaccines is "clever", but warn of significant hurdles to overcome before they can be distributed across the country.
Here's what we know
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Our shops have been allowed to re-open since Sunday so yesterday decided to go to the City Centre to do a bit of Christmas Shopping, but what desolation. Empty Car Parks, empty streets and empty shops. At this time of year when the city should be buzzing. When we did enter a shop the owners looked so surprised that at last they actually had a customer. Not a bar or Cafe open to have a hot chocolate, only doing take away. No thanks. Even the Christmas lights couldn't brighten up the atmosphere. I don't now how shop owners can survive these terrible restrictions. If they are not busy now they never will be. Will it become like Glasgow where all the High Street shops are closing down?
And the Government now want to block all Italian ski resorts over the Christmas / New Year period against Major objections. And will be closing the borders into Switzerland and Austria so that Italians cannot take their money into these countries. Just half an hour over the border in Switzerland all ski lifts are open, also bars and restaurants. The Swiss economy is based on the Sking season and could never close. Quite unjust. Ours is a very unpopular Government at the moment.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

My grandaughter, a dog lover, goes to a Kennel twice a week to walk dogs who have no owners due to Covid deaths. She arrived at my house on Friday to stay the weekend, with a little Heinz 57 variety and as I have a big garden, he was in his glory. Needless to say the dog has found a new home. My good deed for Christmas!
:santa01:
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

And that good deed will be repaid a thousand fold - nothing like a hairy wean to brighten up a home. Well done Jean.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

T'was the month before Christmas and all through the town, people wore masks that covered their frown. The frown had begun way back in the spring when a global pandemic changed everything. They called it corona but unlike the beer it didn't bring good times, it didn't bring cheer. Airplanes were grounded, travel was banned, borders were closed across air, sea and land. As the world entered Lockdown, to flatten the curve, the economy halted and folks lost their nerve. From March to July we rode the first wave, people stayed home, they tried to behave. When summer emerged the lockdown was lifted but away from caution many folks drifted. Now it's December and cases are spiking, wave two has arrived much to our disliking. It's true that this year has had sadness a plenty, we'll never forget the year 2020. And just round the corner - the holiday season but why be merry, is there even one reason? To decorate the house and put up the tree, who will see it, no-one but me. But outside my window the rain gently falls and I think to myself, let's deck the halls. So, I gather the ribbon, the garland and bows, as I play those old carols, my happiness grows. Christmas is not cancelled and neither is hope, if we lean on each other I know we can cope. :santa03:

Author unknown.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

That’s a brilliant poem, Glenshena. Thanks for posting it.

George
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Just waiting to hear if our Premier is going to close the border between Victoria and NSW. I think he will, which will mean my son and his family won’t be able to fly down as booked. Haven’t seen them since last Christmas.
Border was closed last time he arranged to drive down.
Oh, well, guess the rest of us will have to eat more.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Was thinking about you and Bobby when we heard about that outbreak in Sydney. Hope all turns out well and Alistaire and family make it down for Christmas.
:santa03: