Coronavirus pandemic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Meg »

Hope they have the PPE to cope with the fall out...
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

For the first time on a weekday - ie not on a Monday, when weekend deaths haven’t been registered - we have no deaths recorded - that’s the first time since the 10th March ie before lockdown.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Yesterday was the funeral of a family friend, 63 years old, but his death was not due to the virus Covid 19, but rather to the lockdown. He lived alone and suffered from depression and being locked up in his home for three months, no family nearby and the carers not going to check up on him, It was obvious to everyone that he needed help and it was no surprise when he ended his life. Now that he's gone, everyone is expressing their saddness that this has happened to him. Too little too late.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Sorry to hear that Jean. I’m sure lots of people are falling between the cracks during this awful time. Are funerals still restricted to family only in Italy?

Megx
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

No Meg, anyone can go now as long as they wear a mask. So hypocritcal to see a full church for the funeral, when no-one bothered with him when he was alive and needing help.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Yes, it is sad - being on your own for such a prolonged period of time is such a bleak prospect. We have elderly neighbours and volunteered in March to help with grocery shopping and pharmacist runs but they seem to be managing with deliveries etc. Both George and I feel that we are happy to keep doing what we’re doing and not do anything too adventurous for the next couple of months til we see how the figures go down south. There’s still around 180 dying in England every day - equivalent of a full 737 crashing every day - Scotland has just had its second day of no deaths but we’re coming up to the English holiday season and the traffic over the border is increasing. Worrying...
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Yes well done to Nicola-Second day running no deaths. The English will soon be wanting to be running to no-2 house in Arran etc. Is it correct the border is closed?
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

No Brian - the emergency procedures introduced at lockdown allowed Wales to close their borders but not Scotland - maybe too many second homes here ....
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I fear the worse, personally I'd close the border but......anyway boris knows best :evil:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:54 pm I fear the worse, personally I'd close the border but......anyway boris knows best :evil:
Me too Bonzo - but I remember during the foot and mouth outbreak they did close the border - so it can be done. However, border control is a Westminster function, but closing the roads to all but essential traffic 5 miles north of the border is a Police Scotland function - :wink:
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I hope not , my daughter lives in England with her Husband and their daughter. She has had to go back to work in the "office" twice a week ,rest of week is at home. Granddaughter starts school September. Son in Law is a Physicist so he knows what is needed and is hands on at home .Can't see them being up anytime soon.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

sweet caroline wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:16 am I hope not , my daughter lives in England with her Husband and their daughter. She has had to go back to work in the "office" twice a week ,rest of week is at home. Granddaughter starts school September. Son in Law is a Physicist so he knows what is needed and is hands on at home .Can't see them being up anytime soon.
My son is in Reading so I share your worry Ellen - can’t see him coming north for a while. Hopefully things will improve but Autumn seems to be a worrying time for another wave. This isn’t going away anytime soon.