Coronavirus pandemic

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coronavirus pandemic

Post by Meg »

bobnetau wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:29 pm Another gent from Ardrossan passed away from Covid19, Joe Howie, husband of Sadie McIntyre from Clyde Terrace. His daughter is raising money to buy proper protection clothes for the nurses at Crosshouse who looked after her father so well.
I knew Joe wasnt keeping too well when I worked with his lovely daughter a few years ago - Joe - or Junior as I knew him - was a good friend of my brother Ian and used to babysit me when my parents went dancing on a Saturday night. Condolences to his family.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Meg, thought you might have known Sadie McIntyre too. We knew Sadie well from the Nazarene Youth group.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bobnetau wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:55 am Meg, thought you might have known Sadie McIntyre too. We knew Sadie well from the Nazarene Youth group.
Yes, I knew Sadie too - the Macintyres lived in Clyde Terrace too - I think Joe’s sister and Sadie were good friends. Sad - and a bit scary - when someone you know dies of the virus - kind of makes it real. Hope you and Bobby are staying home and staying well.

Megx
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

We are doing as we are told. Groceries home delivered and daughter ready to get anything else we need.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I got a bit of a shock when I heard about Junior. I knew them both well, and I see Sadie most Sundays at church (which is closed at the moment due to the pandemic). Her brother Jim was in my class at school he too has sadly passed away.
Sandy is the youngest of the family and at one time was in the ATC cadets. I think Sadie was a “Threetowner” Joe Junior was a lovely lad, my heart and my prayers go out to Sadie and her family.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I was sent this photo by Eric Abbott’s wife a few years ago, and shows Eric, my brother Ian in the middle and Sandy (on the left hand side) in ATC uniform.

brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

When you are in a shop-buying a loaf, six eggs and the paper and another customer turns around a corner and see you and immediately reverts back to musical statues. Then you totally realise how bad this bugger is .
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Frankly I don't understand why British politicians bother to go on the tele every evening repeating over and over again not to go out, stay in, and have no contacts. I think it is clear to everyone by now that this is the only way the virus will stop spreading. The effects will not be immediate, it may take more than a month to see a fall in coronavirus cases, but the deaths will go on for even longer. At least that is what is happening in our country. Who doesn't want to understand this is putting themself and others at great risk. After nearly a month of lock down, we are having an average of 700 deaths a day and have lost 77 Doctors. I heard last night that men are more susepticle than women, because of our DNA women have smaller and tighter airways and the virus has more difficulty entering our lungs.
So don't give in to the good weather,or friends having parties and get togethers,just STAY AT HOME.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Thanks for the update Jean. One of our local Spar shops have put notices in all our local media pages, local papers and their window to say that young teenagers are still gathering around their store - and going in to buy cans of juice and sweets. Their notices state that unaccompanied children will not be served and that they will call the police. Some parents are just not listening, or are finding parenting hard work!

Are your grocery shops experiencing shortages Jean? We are now having to queue to get into the supermarkets - only 50 allowed in then it’s one out one in and only one person per trolley. The queues seem long but it’s only because there’s 6’ between each person. It’s becoming a way of life - and you can’t help wonder what the new normal will be when we are allowed back out to play.

Keep safe
Meg
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Meg wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:02 am Thanks for the update Jean. One of our local Spar shops have put notices in all our local media pages, local papers and their window to say that young teenagers are still gathering around their store - and going in to buy cans of juice and sweets. Their notices state that unaccompanied children will not be served and that they will call the police. Some parents are just not listening, or are finding parenting hard work!
That would bring in a lot of money here in Germany. If more than 2 people not belonging to the same household are standing together it would cost each of them 200 €. That's the smallest fine. They go from there to 25,000 € and/or up to 5 years imprisonment, depending on the circumstances. If, for instance, someone deliberately sneezes or coughs on someone else, that is treated as an assault.
People from the 'Ordnungsamt' (code enforcement?) are patrolling the streets together with the police, checking that pedestrians and drivers have a legitimate reason for being out and about. It's early days yet but it seems to be helping.The time it takes for the number of infected people to double has gone from 5 days to 9.4 days in the past 2 weeks.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

hahaya2004 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:21 am
That would bring in a lot of money here in Germany. If more than 2 people not belonging to the same household are standing together it would cost each of them 200 €. That's the smallest fine. They go from there to 25,000 € and/or up to 5 years imprisonment, depending on the circumstances. If, for instance, someone deliberately sneezes or coughs on someone else, that is treated as an assault.
People from the 'Ordnungsamt' (code enforcement?) are patrolling the streets together with the police, checking that pedestrians and drivers have a legitimate reason for being out and about. It's early days yet but it seems to be helping.The time it takes for the number of infected people to double has gone from 5 days to 9.4 days in the past 2 weeks.
Now - that’s a result - your testing is a lot more prolific too - it’s not like we didn’t have enough warning or anything! Hopefully the staying home rule will help reduce the spread - we can only hope...
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

It's the same here, but the fines start from 400 euro. I think the German police learned from Italy, although Germany were more efficient with early testing. Police have been controlling our streets for the last three weeks, asking to see the previously filled in permission certificates stating where you are going and for what purpose and the number of your car if you are driving. We have been queing at supermarkets now also for three weeks, only one person at a time, but up till now the shelves are always full. It was worse at the beginning of the epedemic. These supermarket assistants deserve recognition too for being present every day in these dangerous circumstances. Two girls in our local supermarket have already been contaged. It is so important that NHS health workers are covered adequately from head to foot to protect themselves and patients. Especially the elderly in the care homes. It is not a time to take things lightly.
It's very hard for us all, especially now with the good weather that makes you want to get out and about; our freedom has been taken away, something that is harder to accept by the younger generation. And we live in hope that it will all end soon, and never come back again.