Old customs dying out

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Old customs dying out

Post by Meg »

brian f wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:44 pm Thank god the Warrant sales died out... I might be wrong was Warrant sales advertised in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald and Irvine Times . That was terrible.........
Brian - I think the last of the warrant sales was around 2000 - but was reading in the Herald recently that there’s been a call for the Scottish Parliament to bring them back. I think they were advertised in local papers as “house sales under public roup”. They were horrible and the Sheriff Officers sold things for pennies which meant that the person could still be in debt after the humiliation of going through the sale.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Warrant sales ended up being synonymous with poll tax non payment. If I remember correctly Tommy Sheridan had alot to do with the ending of them.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

bonzo wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:55 pm Warrant sales ended up being synonymous with poll tax non payment. If I remember correctly Tommy Sheridan had alot to do with the ending of them.
Yes, he brought a private members bill to Holyrood which was passed - although he was a “can pay won’t pay” individual.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Okay dokey Meg, Although I can't disagree with anyone not paying the poll tax but I feel I might be reopening a can of worms :wink:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Collecting the paper money every week :D I don't think the boys and lassies see money now apart from the nice people that tip them at Xmas.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

This is a memory not a custom... I was making up a packing create at work today and I got a skelf in the process.
Instantly I was taken back tae this wee poem.

The Sair Fingerpoem
You've hurt your finger? Puir wee man!
Your pinkie? Deary me!
Noo, juist you haud it that wey till
I get my specs and see!

My, so it is - and there's the skelf!
Noo, dinna greet nae mair.
See there - my needle's gotten't out!
I'm sure that wasna sair?

And noo, to make it hale the morn,
Put on a wee bit saw,
And tie a Bonnie hankie roun't
Noo, there na - rin awa'!

Your finger sair ana'? Ye rogue,
You're only lettin' on.
Weel, weel, then - see noo, there ye are,
Row'd up the same as John!
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Think it is a generational thing and largely dying out. I still do because I was brought up with the custom.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Generally speaking, I don't agree with anything T Sheridan says or does.... , and I certainly disagree with ' Can Pay Won't Pay' attitude. However with regard to Warrant Sales , I largely disagree in principle. There must be more humane methods.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

Re ' saluting the Magpie ' Wher I live, in Ardrossan, there are so many Magpies now, that if I had to salute every sighting I would be hoarse. If I physically saluted all sightings, Ma Airm Wid Be Hingin Aff.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

If I see 1 then I have to look for another for luck. :D

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

brian f wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:44 pm Thank god the Warrant sales died out... I might be wrong was Warrant sales advertised in the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald and Irvine Times . That was terrible.........
yes they did, and it has to be said Tommy Sheridan at the forefront of getting them binned along with Colin Fox and the rest of the SSP.
There were two parts to the advertising it was to humiliate the defendant, BUT more importantly the Council (s) could (allegedly )speed up the process by circumventing (legally) the process.

Most of the possible reintroduction seems to have come from the peddling of this
https://archive.is/mEe5H
Note there is no real pinning it on any party BUT this phrase is interesting
"The Accountant in Bankruptcy (AIB), a Scottish Government agency that advises ministers on matters relating to debt law"
Based in Kilwinning next to where the Winton Arms was
Complete based on absolutely nothing, I'd suggest it's a jobs for the boys (Lawyers and Accountants)
and if it came to fruition any party associated with it could and should back their bags and go
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

It put an end to the Poll Tax as in England you were jailed and uproar ensued .The outcry in Scotland was ignored till then by Westminster.

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller