Split from - Wildlife in Stevenston

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Split from - Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by 5siamese7 »

Last night we had a very hard frost. I had quite a lot of brown bread that was still fresh so I made my way to the quarry pond and it was nine tenths frozen and no wildfowl to be seen However when I made my way round to the far side there they were a few tufties, mallards and some mallard hybrids complemented by the swan family. They were so glad to see me and the swans all came on land for the bread. The ducks see me as a friend however I wish they were more wary as I know of a moron who will take some for the pot using a catapult.It makes me so sad that this happens where the birds feel safe.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Wildlife in Stevenston

Post by 5siamese7 »

It was so cold to-day that I didn't visit the "Scuap" pond but glad to report that from the distance I could see it wasn't frozen probably due to the saline content of the water.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Bill, haven't been over there during the cold spells recently, but as I remember it that part was always the last bit to freeze over so obviously most of the resident birds usually congregate there.
It'll be a difficult - but rewarding - time for the Cygnet's this year, as they'll have to perfect taking off and landing in a confined space more often.
Last edited by michaelm on Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

5siamese7 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 pm It was so cold to-day that I didn't visit the "Scuap" pond but glad to report that from the distance I could see it wasn't frozen probably due to the saline content of the water.
Beyond cold yesterday.

I am hoping for a country outing towards the end of the week, as temperatures are up by around 4 degrees. Whoopeedoo. :shock:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Apart from the places where the burns flow the birdlife behind Stevenston is zilch. Use to be full of small birds especially chaffinches. I guess modern farming practices have ruined their environment and they are a memory. The usual flight of the rooks in the morning over Stevenston continues. They fly from their roost at Irvine Central Hospital to feed on the arable land between Ardrossan and West Kilbride. Though very noisy at least its good to see birds in good numbers.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

You know that day I walked back from Saltcoats it was so cold I thought I was heading for the last roundup. A lot of the birds at the Scaup pond survive from eating the grass on the golf course and its good that they have open water to roost on even in cold snaps. Hope this hard weather is going to be finished but you know in the old days February could be the coldest month.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Well, something strange is going on at the scaup pond only 5 birds that look like scaups. Three females and as the two males weren't bothering with them I guess they might be female tufties. Usually there are over fifty scaup on the pond and most are paired and easy to count. I wonder what's going on? With binoculars you can easily tell a female scaup as they have white markings either side of their beak. However with the naked eye its not so easy. Don't tell me they are going the same way as the pochard?
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Last week the fish in the Ardeer quarry took a real hammering .Five cormorants and three mergansers could be seen fishing.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

5siamese7 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:50 am Last week the fish in the Ardeer quarry took a real hammering .Five cormorants and three mergansers could be seen fishing.
Never heard of a merganser had to Google it, rather a braw wee duck.
Those wimin were in the nip.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Indeed Bonzo and they are red breasted mergansers. Use to be very common along the North shore I guess the sea isn't providing the fish it use to and lots of birds are feeding more on inland waters.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

It was lovely to see a cock bullfinch yesterday. He came to peck the almond buds but he was too early for them. Instead he ate some of the green leafs from an old pear tree. Bullfinches are very faithful and its unusual to see a cock bird on his own. I hope he finds a mate and they both return to enjoy the almond buds. They are so lovely and although protected they can cause havoc with commercial fruit orchards and maybe not made too welcome.
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

Quite a few tits in the garden to-day and strangely a solitary goldfinch. They normally go about in flocks. Also a single starling in fine nick, sometimes referred to as costermongers because of their plumage. Nice to see as they are on the decline.