Snow Joke

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Snow Joke

Post by tapnagol »

How is it that every time a problem arises, the only solution is to chuck bucketloads of cash at it.Believe it or not , money is not the panacea for all the ills of the world. Before anyone posts , NO I do not have the wit or the intellect to provide answers , but I do have opinions and often express them. I am ameniable to sensible debate. Please Please get away from this idea that all problems are the result of underfunding by Government. Governments simply spend the cash provided by YOU. We elect representatives to budget on our behalf, if they fail to do so we can then dismiss them. The purse however remains solidly bottomed. I do not expect to be knocked over in a stampede to contribute more in taxes, but then again it is always someone else who foots the bill.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Vivc113 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:29 am
bonzo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:54 pm Cash from where for what?
A cold snap like this is rarer than hen's teeth these days.
Do we have fleets of snowploughs that lie idle for 360 days of the year? Or should people pay heed to what the government / met office is telling us?
So just don't go to work?? Maybe that is not acceptable as part of your contract.
A decent employer will not penalise you with weather like this at worse you might need to use holidays. I have friends and family that work around Inchinnan/Glasgow and their places of work are closed.
Those wimin were in the nip.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

creamolafoam wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:20 pm Humza useless will fix it
Oh aye I keep forgetting the SNP control the weather //perfect
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

There was a lawyer on the tele explaining the situation and she made it clear that is your responsibility to get to your work and if you don't turn up the employer doesn't have to pay you. As Bonzo says a decent employer will not use sanctions against you.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

bonzo wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:09 am
No they don't (that would be the stuff of nightmares) but I remember the last Scottish transport minister Stewart Stevenson falling on his sword for the transport chaos caused in 2010.
For over a thousand people to be stuck on the m80 for many many hrs overnight in the 21st century is ludicrous.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

creamolafoam wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:11 pm
No they don't (that would be the stuff of nightmares) but I remember the last Scottish transport minister Stewart Stevenson falling on his sword for the transport chaos caused in 2010.
For over a thousand people to be stuck on the m80 for many many hrs overnight in the 21st century is ludicrous.
That he did, and no doubt the people stuck on the M80 (the same people that were advised not to drive)along with the tory press will be calling for the present incumbents head.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Putting things in perspective a wee bit. We have the same problems here in NL. Like the UK, we get so few hard winters that we suffer with traffic and transport every time there are a few flakes of snow. It is simply not economic sense to invest in loads of equipment to be used for a couple of days a year.
Folk point to Scandinavia, Switzerland and Austria and such like and wonder how they manage so well.
Well, they manage so well because for them, it does make economic sense to invest in equipment for the months that they need them. The other thing is that the Scandinavians and the rest all have snow-chains in their cars, trucks and buses as a matter of course the way we have spare wheels.
If we had snow chains and were used to getting them on inside a few minutes, we would also have a lot less problems with a wee bit of snow.
A further point is that the said countries have a much smaller populations than us with much smaller road/rail networks which means that their machinery can be much better utilised without the thousands of miles of B an C roads which we also need to service.

JD.
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

bonzo wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:31 pm
creamolafoam wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:11 pm
That he did, and no doubt the people stuck on the M80 (the same people that were advised not to drive)along with the tory press will be calling for the present incumbents head.
People attempt to get to work that’s a matter of fact. The whole country would grind to a halt if we all sat in the house. Take in our local area for instance. Snow has been horrendous fairlie/Largs area & around Kilmarnock. Beyond killie where I’ve been working it has been the same as the three towns, bad but not as such for driving. Ayr seems to have next to nothing. We were advised not to go on the roads unless it is necessary, well in my case & nearly everybody in the country it was necessary to get to my work & earn a living. If roads were not passable which I have never came across in my 38yrs driving, I would have turned back if safe to do so. But for the poor unfortunates on the m80, once your on it, there ain’t no turning back, & I feel sorry for all those involved & hope they all get home safely.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Gas is apparently running out now. After TWO days. :shock:
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Humza Yousaf is an SNP politician and the current Scottish Minister for Transport.
creamolafoam wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:11 pm No they don't (that would be the stuff of nightmares) but I remember the last Scottish transport minister Stewart Stevenson falling on his sword for the transport chaos caused in 2010.
Stewart Stevenson is also a former SNP Transport Minister.

Strange thread to choose for indulging in a bit of shameless SNP bashing creamolafoam. :roll:
Last edited by michaelm on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I'm assuming you're talking about Gas in general, Viv.
But as I'm sure you'll know, most of these type of scaremongering headline's are written just to sell publications.

Mind you it's definitely bitter cold outside, especially with that wind, so central heating boiler's and other gas fuelled heating equipment will all be working overtime just now.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I believe when gas reserves are running low, the government approaches heavy industry and pays them to use less gas - domestic gas isn’t affected.