BREXIT

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: BREXIT

Post by tapnagol »

Meg writes about the awarding of the new passport contract to a ' foreign ' country. She states that through decades , successive governments advocated buy British. I wonder if she, and other vociferous parties ever remotely considered this when making purchasing decisions,.Some talk of our car industry, what ' car industry ' I can't think of a British Car, they are all foreign owned companies cars built in Britain. Why because in its hay day Trade unions ruled, and subsequently ruined the indigenous Car industry. I could go on. As I understand a passport is not a commodity , which can be purchased, you do not have a choice. You earn the right to be considered to be a suitable person. The cost is not a purchase price but an administration fee. The government is charged by the electorate to efficiently administer a budget and passports come into this category. I don't believe that there is anything willy or nilly , about this process. As we are still members of the EU. We are also still bound by EU competition rules. All the bluff and bluster put about by people who blame all the ills of the nation on the great divide between rich and poor does not wash. I look forward to joining them in the queue to contribute more tax to eliminate homelessness . poverty , to provide more money for the NHS, for the Police, Fire service. The list is endless . I doubt if such a queue will be lengthy., as there is always someone else to foot the bill.Meg also writes that the EU rules state that they should not favour the tendering country, adding ask France Germany Spain etc. Is she seriously intimating that all these nations break the law, and that we should follow suit ?.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

There's a very fine line between playing by the rules and breaking the law in business. I might be reading you wrong tapnagol but you seem to be putting a lot of words in meg's mouth.
As for the car industry I came across this this morning
https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... -1-4712387
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

tapnagol wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:53 am Meg writes about the awarding of the new passport contract to a ' foreign ' country. She states that through decades , successive governments advocated buy British.
Really - where in my post did I say that????? Please don’t misquote - actually I said this ...

De la rue are a British company Meekan- they started out in Guernsey over 200 years ago. I did some technical training for them a few years ago and was amazed at their range of products. The Guardian did a piece on them yesterday -

Where on earth did you did the rest of your post information come from....... soapbox and ‘get off’ comes to mind. If you have a hobbyhorse to get across to the forum, make it your own please.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

bonzo wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:44 pm There's a very fine line between playing by the rules and breaking the law in business. I might be reading you wrong tapnagol but you seem to be putting a lot of words in meg's mouth.
As for the car industry I came across this this morning
https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport ... -1-4712387
I thought the same, bonzo.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Tapnagol,
You got something against Meg? Surely not.
You are crediting her with things that I posted.

Regarding whether other countries apply the procurement rules as strictly as we do, they have been known to bend them. Do you honestly think that France would allow their passports to be produced anywhere other France? they would claim not "in the national interest " to produce them outside France, Or in the interest of National Security.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

If you revisit the post, the presentation would indicate that the poster was Meg. Her name appears in te top left hand column and there is no reference to any other person. If I have accredited Meg with the post of another person then I humbly apologise. However if you look at the post you will surely see how such an error might occur. On the point of law breaking, the law is the law, business or otherwise, I can't condone other nations who fail in this respect. If this is the case then the British Parliament is well disposed to have any such breaches properly investigated and necessary action taken. It is no solution to accept these illegal acts, and for the U K to commit similar illegalities.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

To Meg. Soap box and get off post. Am I mistaken re the reason for these forums ?. Are they not for such debates, not everyone will agree with you Meg, and if you can' t stand the heat leave the kitchen. I have already posted an apology for unintentionally mistakenly misquoting you . Regards.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

You of course have a right to express your view, but sometimes we have to agree to disagree without being disagreeable.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

tapnagol wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 pm On the point of law breaking, the law is the law, business or otherwise, I can't condone other nations who fail in this respect. If this is the case then the British Parliament is well disposed to have any such breaches properly investigated and necessary action taken. It is no solution to accept these illegal acts, and for the U K to commit similar illegalities.
You are placing a lot of faith in government, you seem to think they are whiter than white. Do you not remember the scandals
That have ran through parliament in recent years? And as I said previously things will be done in business that need to be done, rules bent beyond recognition and on many occasions broken.
Those wimin were in the nip.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

My point is, that the law, in a democracy applies equally to all . Anything other than this is anarchy. Law is not pick and mix, it is at the foundation of our way of life. I have no such opinions that governments are whiter than white. And we have elections to,get rid of governing parties with whom we disagree. What we can't have is asituation where if you disagree with a particular law, you are at liberty to disregard same. There wold be no point in legislation.
tapnagol
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tapnagol »

I did also note that sports cars are to made in Scotland for first time in 30 yrs. wowee . I bet this news has BMW! MERCEDES! GENERAL MOTORS! FORD etc shaking in their boots.
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Will Brexit put a stop to the production of 'Rocky Road' cakes. Hope not.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".